Chapter eighteen

"What kind of streets do ghosts haunt?" I say, a sly smirk on my face as I look at Luca then at Pablo.

They're both silent, Luca is looking at me with lazy eyes as he slowly takes another drag of his cigarette while Pablo is ignoring my gaze while looking at his computer.
"Come on" I push, waiting on Pablo to look up at me, which he does but not before letting out a scoff,
"What kind of streets do they haunt?" He asks with a bored tone, followed with a headshake.
"Dead ends!" I laugh, Luca breathes out a laugh while Pablo shakes his head further in disappointment, "I don't know how your jokes get lamer each time, but somehow they do."

Luca throws the cigarette out the window and heads towards us,
"Do you have anything to eat? I'm starving." He whines. I point towards the refrigerator,
"Go see for yourself, you're not a stranger."
He huffs and makes his way to the kitchen. Amalie hasn't been here in a week, I haven't seen her since our last encounter in my room. I'm not sure what I feel about that.

"How's it going with the almost married man?" I joke, speaking to Pablo but keeping my eyes glued to my phone. We've been working here for almost two hours but talking as little as possible to keep concentrated.
"Fine." He says shortly, earning a laugh from Luca.
"What's so funny? I want to laugh too." I say, throwing a glance at Luca who's now making himself a sandwich.

"His fiancé is a bitch, at least towards him."
Pablo's eyes rise from his computer and give Luca the deadliest glare I've seen from him.
"Call her a bitch one more time and I'll sew that mouth of yours shut, after I cut your tongue off."

Luca waves his hands in defeat, "Easy there tiger. Didn't know you were in love and shit already."
"I'm not." Pablo hisses, "but it doesn't change that fact that it's my future wife you're talking about."

Luca grabs his sandwich and heads towards us, "She's also my future sister-in-law, it doesn't change the fact that she's a brat." He defends his previous statement. Luca takes a seat next to me instead of the one he had next to Pablo, probably scared that he'll get attacked.
"She's a brat, huh?" I smirk, "serves you right." I mutter. He needs a woman that puts him in his place, he's gotten too used to women spooning over him after the one glance.
"She's not a brat.." Pablo scoffs, "just more difficult, and stubborn than I anticipated."

I let out a laugh,
"Should've let Luca marry her instead then." I tease,
Luca doesn't hesitate to step in, "Nah, she's not my type. Everything about her yells young and stubborn, she's probably even a virgin."
"Luca I swea-"
"Hey! What's wrong with being a virgin?" I defend before Pablo can cut his head off.

"Waste of time." Luca says shortly, not bothering to explain but I understand what he means. "Not if you're in it for the long run." I say, I don't even know why I bother. I prefer girls that aren't virgins, but that's more out of respect for them, most people don't want to give that up to someone who isn't going to see you again.
"Good thing I'm not." He answers – I don't know why but lately he's been extra douchey. I ignore it though and shift my attention back to Pablo.

Pablo's green eyes are seemingly darker now. I can already see that whatever hold this girl has on him, it's a strong one. Him marrying her says more than enough itself, marriage is a big deal in our lifestyle and our type of work, you can rarely go back on it.

"You have to set a date for the wedding soon, she's already turned nineteen – what are you waiting for?" I ask, Pablo's been putting it off even though he knows the risk he's taking. The longer he waits, the bigger chance there is that someone intervenes.
"I know," he scoffs, "but she's still young, she didn't want to get married at all. I'm just trying to give her more time." One thing about Pablo is that he's always been a gentleman – towards the ladies at least.
"I know she's young, but you also know how this life goes, if she doesn't marry you she'll get married off to someone else. And I promise you, that someone's going to be no near as gentle or respectful as you are."