Chapter forty six

Dilemma.

I look out the window, the clouds are surrounding the jet. Silence floats in the air, no one dares to speak or say anything. They saw me walk to the private part of the jet, and they knew instantly that I didn't want to be bothered, good.

Someone did not get the memo though, because I hear the footsteps and when the curtain gets dragged to the side, of course Daniel is standing in front of me.

"You've been silent the entire trip." He says, heading to the seat in front of me.
"I don't have anything to say."

We're landing in New York in one hour, and for now I want to use all the time I have alone. Soon I'll be facing Bruno, and he'll ask about my trip, and I'll have to lie to his face and tell him that nothing interesting happened.

"Maybe he'll change his mind." Daniel says with an apologetic tone,
I laugh, but it holds no humor. "I've known him my entire life; he won't change his mind."

FLASHBACK
One day ago

"Take a seat dear."

Dear, at least he doesn't sound mad. Yet we've still not come to the part where I have to explain why I haven't caught Landon again, or why Sebastian returned to London and asked for another mission.

"It's good to see you father." I smile, I do mean it. I haven't spent any time with him or seen him, and no matter how grumpy he can be – he's still my father and I love him.
"It's good to see you too, Amalie."

At least we're off to a good start.

"Father, I'd like to apologize. I know I've done a poor job so far, but I am working on it and I will capture Landon Rivers." I start, "his brother won't hold for much longer."
Before I can continue, father waves his hand up telling me to stop.

"I don't need to hear the excuses; the mission will be cancelled soon either way."
"What?" I've never in my years of working here had a mission get cancelled mid way. It'll be horrendous for our reputation, especially mine. "The partners, they won-"
"They already know, it's their decision."

My mind shuts down completely, I'm confused. They cancelled my mission. Why?

"Listen to me Amalie, and do not interrupt me until I'm done." I already know that whatever he needs to say isn't going to be good, especially if I can't say anything until he's done.

He pours himself a glass of scotch, "The partners have been very unpleased with your work lately and so have I. This mission was supposed to be your final one before I made it official that you would take my place as heir for the company."

Don't say it. Don't fucking say it. I've worked so damn hard; one bad mission isn't enough to ruin everything.

He takes a sip of the scotch,
"Now, they're not sure you can handle the job as head of the company."
"Father I-"
"Do not interrupt!"

He should have backed me up, he can make sure that I'll take his place no matter what they say – he promised me, he fucking promised.

"I do however care about you, and as my only child I want to see you continue this work." He says calmly, "there's one way you can, one way that'll guarantee you as the heir and soon to be leader just like you've always dreamt of."
"I'll do it, whatever it is – I'll do it." This company is my legacy, I refuse to step down because of a one-time failure.

Father smiles, "I knew you'd do whatever it took, you really are a true Walker."
I give him a faint smile back. He reaches down, and grabs a file, then places it in front of me. I tilt my head, as I grab it and open – revealing a picture of,
"Leonard III, grandson of the first partner in the company."
"I don't understand? Is he going to work with me?"
"He is, like a partner- and your husband."