Her Lips

Hey guys, I'm back with part three to the London Institute oneshot! This may turn into a little story, and if it does, I'll move it to my AO3. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Jem's POV~

It's been a couple weeks since I took (Y/N) on a tour of London, and she's been kind of avoiding me. She skips over my room in the morning and ignores my offers to escort her around the Institute.

This morning, I woke up and almost immediately started coughing, my whole body weak. I double over, blood spraying on the white sheets as the coughs shook my frame. The door creaks open and a familiar mop of black hair rushes in.

"Jem!" He shouts. "Where is it?"

"Th-the mantle... i-in the silver b-box." I cough. Will grabs the box and scoops some of the powder, handing me some and watching as I ingested it. After a few more moments, the coughing subsided and I straightened, seeing a familiar mop of (H/C) hair bolting away from the door which was wide open.

"Dammit." I mutter, standing up only to collapse. Will rushes over, helping me to my feet and handing me my cane. I stumbled towards the door, leaning on my cane as I rushed to (Y/N)'s door, knocking.

"(Y/N)... may I come in?" I ask. I only get a sob in return and open the door.

"(Y/N)?" I whisper. She looks up at me, her eyes brimming with tears.

"J-Jem... answer honestly... are you okay? What was that stuff Will gave you?"

"I'm doing fine right now... that substance was a drug called yin fen... it's made from a demon poison... When I was younger, the greater demon Yanluo broke into the Shanghai Institute and killed my parents, poisoning me."

"J-Jem... I'm s-so sorry..." She whispers, sniffling.

"It's alright.. You don't need to apologize. I need to apologize for not telling you sooner. You deserved to know after our outing."

"I'm just a newcomer to the Institute. I don't need to know everything about everybody right away." She says. I sigh softly.

"You should've known, we are neighbors anyway. You'd be the closest one if I were to collapse in a fit."

"But Will would still be an ass towards me... no matter if I knew or not." She says. I sigh.

"He's just an ass towards the new people who come into my life. Because he thinks I should only rely on him."

"He's so... beautiful yet such an ass." She mumbles, a slight blush hinting at her cheeks. I chuckle softly.

"That he is... most of the time he's just the second one though." I say. She lets out a giggle before covering her mouth.

"S-sorry..."

"What are you apologizing for? I thought your giggle was adorable." I blurt out, my eyes widening slightly. She blushes brighter and turns her head away.

"Well damn Carstairs..." She mutters, looking down at the floor.

"S-sorry... the words just came out."

"I-it's alright." She whispers, standing up and looking me in the eye.

"So, yesterday you were talking about the park?" She asks softly.

"Y-yeah, Hyde Park. It's a lovely place to go when it's nice out."

"I mean, it looks like it's going to rain, but I don't mind a little water, do you?"

"Not at all. Let me get dressed."

"I'll do the same." She says, walking to shut the door after I left. I walk into my room and get changed into my silver suit before walking over to (Y/N)'s room and knocking on the door.