Page 56: Through the Forest:

David led the group of six, using his sword to cut the overgrown leaves and branches in their path. Hook followed behind him, telling David and the girls the directions of where they were going. Then, Dream followed behind Hook, then Regina, Emma, and Mary Margaret.

"The ridge is just a few hundred paces up ahead." Hook said to the group.

"You really think we're gonna be able to see Pan's hideout?" Emma asked Hook while they continued to follow David. "From there, we should be able to see everything. Including where he's keeping your son." Hook explained, looking back at Emma.

"You know, I could have just poofed us up here in an instant," Regina said, sighing since they had been walking for what felt like hours. 

"Where?" Hook asked, stopping to look at Regina. "Have you any idea what's up here? Or anywhere? There are dangers all about. Only I can guide us past them." Hook explained when he started walking again, but he kept looking back at Regina, who was annoyed.

"He's right, Mom... Hook's lived here before." Dream said when Regina sighed, knowing that her daughter tended to be naive.

"If he says hiking up is the best way, then we listen," Emma added, making Regina scoff to herself. "Here. You need to stay hydrated." Mary Margaret said, reaching the canister to Emma, who stopped to take a drink. "Thanks, Mary Margaret," Emma said while she was opening the lid before taking a drink.

"You know, Mary Margaret's a bit formal. You could call me "mom" if you want... I mean, Dream still refers to Regina as "mom." And you've done it before..." Mary Margaret suggested, making Emma sigh to herself.

"That was back when we were..."

"We were about to die. Oh, no, I get it." Mary Margaret sighed when Emma nodded, handing her back the canister before catching up with the others. Mary Margaret sighed, following behind her when she glanced over at Dream and Regina, who were walking side by side. All Mary Margaret ever wanted was a child, and she got a daughter, who was taken from her. She missed out on everything. Emma's first words, first steps, and many more firsts. But the whole time she mourned the loss of watching Emma grow up, she remembered with her cursed memories of watching Dream and Henry grow up. And yet, she still did not understand why she was struggling to still connect with Emma in a mother-daughter relationship instead of their friend relationship from before the curse was broken. Not to mention that she has seen Dream have a rocky relationship with her parents, but she still tried to have a relationship with them, unlike Emma, who built her walls up.

A little bit later, David was still cutting a path until Hook went to stop him from cutting a particular cluster of vines. "No. No!" Hook said, stopping David, who jerked his arm away from Hook. "I can handle a couple of thorns," David said when Hook sighed, looking at the vines. "That's dreamshade. It's not the thorns you have to worry about. It's the poison they inject you with. This plant is the source of the toxins I used on the--" Hook went to explain, but he was interrupted by Dream, who gasped when her vision went black before showing the memory of seeing her father dying in the back of his shop while she sat with Neal.

"Dream?" Regina asked, holding onto her daughter when the others saw Dream's bracelet, showing what she was seeing since it was still enchanted by Cora's magic.

"The Dark One..." Hook sighed when Dream's vision went back to normal. "The poison that almost killed my dad?" Dream asked when Hook sighed, nodding at her when she started hearing a taunting voice. 

"Slowly fall to the tray; the more it grows, the more thorns come out to play. Dream, dream, dream... The light of the glow will gleam..." 

Dream shook the sound of her father's taunting voice from her mind, trying to focus on the conversation. "Indeed..." Hook said when David moved his oil lantern over the thorns. "I used a concentrated dose. In its natural form, death would be much slower and far more painful. I suggest we go this way." Hook said, motioning to his left.

David turned to the right, the opposite way that Hook suggested. "We'll go this way." He said to Hook when Regina looked at Hook before following David. Mary Margaret went to follow while Emma and Dream trailed behind. While Hook stayed where he was standing for a moment. "Your father's a distrustful fellow." Hook said, making Emma turn to look at him. Dream lingered, trying to listen in while she stayed close enough to the others. "He's just not used to working with the bad guys." Emma corrected him, trying to justify David's harsh actions.

"I can assure you, on this island, I am not the bad guy." Hook said when Dream turned, butting into the conversation.

"Yeah, well, Peter Pan's not supposed to be one either." She said as Emma moved to follow her since the others were getting farther away from them. "What possibly gave you that idea?" Hook asked her, walking up to her while Emma walked past her to follow her mother. "Every story Graham and Granny read to me as a child." Dream said, looking ahead.

"Well, they got it wrong, love. Pan is the most treacherous villain I've ever faced." Hook said when Dream looked back at him, shocked. "Listen, tell me something, love; in these stories, what was I like?" Hook asked, smirking at her, which made Dream stop to look at him. "Other than a villain. Handsome, I gather?" He continued to ask with a smirk.

Dream held back her laughter, making Hook furrow his brows when she looked back up at him, smirking. "If waxed mustaches and perms are your thing." Dream chuckled before turning to catch up with the others. "I take it by your tone, perms are bad?" He asked, but she just turned to him, nodding while she smirked at him.

"Up here!"

~season 3, episode 2: "Lost Girl"~

~1039 words~