Chapter 62: Regina's Revenge... Or is it Regret?:

***TRIGGER WARNING****

A/N: This chapter mentions Regina using a potion to not be able to have a child. So, if that is something that triggers or affects you... I'd advise you to skip this chapter...

It's okay if you skip this chapter. Because it is just a flashback. But you have been warned about what this consist of. 

Thank you for reading... :) 

*****

After a bit, Regina sat at her vanity, stirring around a potion that she had made in a glass goblet. "So, how did it go?" Cora asked, walking into the room. "He's not still here, is he?" Cora asked with a smile, looking around the room as she walked closer to Regina.

"Oh, but he is," Regina said, waving her hand to show the man handing up by his feet over a fire pit. "He wanted to see the dungeon," Regina said with no emotion.

"Oh, for heaven's sake! You're having a tantrum." Cora sighed, waving her hand to make the image go back to being a mirror. "There. He's home now. Poor thing." She said, leaning her hands on Regina's chair, making Regina look up at her through the vanity mirror.

"Why'd you let him go? Don't you want someone else to suffer for what you did? Like usual." Regina asked her mother, sounding annoyed.

"I don't understand. I thought you were getting along." Cora sighed when Regina dropped the spoon, smirking a bit. "Well, I haven't known a lot of love in my life. But I do know..." Regina said, getting up from her seat with the glass goblet in her hand. "...that's not what a soulmate feels like." She continued to say to her mother.

"Your so-called soulmate is a married, moralizing sap. The one I found is much better." Cora said with a smile when Regina scoffed, shaking her head at her mother.

"You were never interested in my happiness." Regina fought, sounding hurt.

"You'll never be happy. You don't know how. But you do understand power, and you're about to lose it. Your people want Snow White to be queen. And unless you start building a dynasty, she'll take back the kingdom, and you'll lose it all." Cora said, walking closer to Regina. "And when I die of a mysterious illness, you're the power behind the child-size throne, right? Well, guess what, Mother... I found a way to keep that from ever happening." Regina said, holding up the glass cup.

"What is that?" Cora asked, sounding scared in her voice.

"A potion... to take away your future claim on the royal line."

"But you're not pregnant..." Cora said, unsure what Regina's plan was. "And now, I never will be. I won't be a baby mill for you, Mother." Regina said, looking at the glass, then at her mother. "You'd never do that. This is a sham..." Cora went to say, knowing Regina did not have the nerve.

"Is it?" Regina asked her mother. "You made it clear you don't think anyone's going to love me. So, why not make it official? After all, love is weakness." Regina said to her mother, who for once looked concerned about her daughter.

"I was wrong about that. The man... I really thought he was a good match. I'm very sorry... Now, we both know you're not going to drink that, so put it down, and we can fix this."

"You don't think I'm strong enough to do this?" Regina asked, sounding angry and hurt as she looked at her mother. 

"Stupid girl. You think it'll make you strong to hurt yourself?" Cora asked her, scoffing at her question. "Oh, it does if it hurts you more," Regina said before drinking all of the potion. She smiled, looking at her mother, before feeling a pain in her body. She moved to sit on the nearest seat.

"No... No!" Cora sighed, rushing to Regina's side.

"Get out of my life!" Regina yelled at her mother, regretting her decision as she groaned in pain.

"Oh, Regina... I really did come here to help you. I love you. I wanted you to have a child for your own sake. If I wanted to take your power, I'd find a much more direct way. Now, please take one last piece of motherly advice. I hope you learn what has taken me a lifetime to realize about myself. The only one standing in the way of your happiness is you." Cora said while Regina tried not to cry.

Regina stood up, watching her mother leave the room. "Go back to Wonderland, Mother. I don't need you." Regina spat before looking over to the rose she still had that she was going to take to Daniel's grave. A petal fell off of it, landing on the floor. Regina sat back down, crying over the decision she had just made.

~season 4, episode 21: "Mother"~

~732 words~