The savior

Krak

Your heart started racing and a pit was opening up in your stomach. You moved faster, hitting any random bats that would come your way. Looking up, you could see the light.

So close!

Then in one swift movement, you felt like you were being lifted off the ground. Then you collided with a rough surface, knocking the breath out of you. What had just happened? Were you outside? Getting up, you saw everyone sprawled out on the ground in a similar manner. Everyone...

Wait...

Where's Xiao?

Xiao POV

We weren't going to make it. Judging by the speed we were moving, and the quality of the lift, we would never make it. I racked my brain. What was there to possibly do? Was there anyway? Wait there is...

At the cost of my life.

I thought nothing of it. After all, I didn't deserve to live. Not after...everything I've done...

I shook my head. I have to act fast. I waited until the very moment this lift looked like it would fall apart. I then grabbed onto the rope and jumped down, pulling onto it. The force caused it to go up, letting everyone get to land.

I heard the lift break and the world below me turned to nothing. I started falling. I could feel the wind hitting my back, and my hair flow around me as I fell. It was oddly peaceful- not as frightening as I imagined. I closed my eyes and accepted death.

Well...at least y/n is safe and the others are safe....

I felt something thin wrap around my waist and tighten. Hard. It pulled me, and I choked and gasped for breath at the sudden impact. It felt like someone had slit open my stomach. I looked down, and realized that the strange thing was a rope. A rope that was pulling me up.

Huh??

I dangled helplessly, craning my neck to look upwards, though it was hard since I was facing the pit. I saw a figure through the light, barely a shadow. They were tall and had long hair in a ponytail flowing behind them.

...

ZHONGLI?!?

y/n POV

You desperately coughed for air, and turned back to the hole, looking down. You could see Xiao falling, the darkness of the hole slowly eating him away.

"XIAO!" you screamed, but knew it would make no difference as it was too late. Your heart felt heavy, as you fell to your knees. Was this it? The end of your friendship was like this? The end of his life? You felt your vision darken and your head pound, as you gasped for air and held your head. Starting to hyperventilate, you closed your eyes. That was when a warm hand touched your shoulder.

You looked up and saw Childe and Aether. "Huh? Aether? Ajax?" you cried in confusion

"Don't worry," Childe said, smiling down at you.

You glanced back at the hole, only to see a tall figure with brown hair and topaz tips standing in front of you. He was holding a rope tied into a lasso, and threw it downwards. He appeared to be pulling something up. After a painful 3 minutes of remaining frozen and waiting, he reached his hand down and helped up a dark-haired male.

"Xiao!" you yelled, pouncing on him as soon as his face came into view. The force made him sway backward, but he regained his balance. Your arms wrapped tightly around his waist in a bone-crushing hug, while he struggled to breathe.

You felt arms wrap around you and Xiao, and looked up to see Zhongli. Then Childe joined in, along with Aether, Lumine, and Dainsleif.

"Why did you try to sacrifice yourself, idiot?!" you yelled at him, tightening your grip around him. He coughed a bit, from the lack of air entering his lungs.

Xiao could feel his face growing hot. He hadn't been embraced in a long while...

"L-let go of me!" he stuttered, pulling away. But none of you let go. Well, except for Aether, Lumine, and Dain. Lumine was barking at Aether, yelling at him for disappearing and reappearing so suddenly, while the poor Dain was desperately trying to calm them down.

"Ahem" you heard a cough.

You, Xiao, Childe and Zhongli turned your heads to see Yelan with an unrecognizable expression.

"If this cult meeting is over, we should get going," she said sighing. All of you let go of Xiao. Zhongli pat his head and smiled, then walked away with Childe.

You turned to him and poked him in the chest with your index finger while glaring at him. "And you, we are NOT done with this. Don't risk your life so easily! I'm here for you if you ever need it.." He closed his eyes and nodded. Lumine, Shinobu, and the passed-out Itto came running over, and the three of you thanked Xiao, before deciding to give him some space.

Aether and Dainsleif went up to him after you had left. Dain bowed, with his hand over his chest. "Thank you for putting our lives before your own. You have my utmost respect. Next time, don't do something like this alone, I shall help you shoulder your burdens." he said with gratitude, getting up and walking away.

After he left, Aether pounced on him. "Xiao..I get why you did that but...please care about your life more. I know what happened in your past, but it isn't your fault. Please don't die on me.." with that, he patted Xiao on the shoulder and walked away with Dain.

Yelan walked to Xiao. "Good work with the saving, you're off detention for the rest of the year. But take their advice and don't ever risk your life like that again. Got that?" she said, hitting him on the back. 

"..."

"No promises.."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I decided to make a Halloween special chapter next~