Chapter 70

"Hey…umm…have you seen the sweater I just wore yesterday?" Damien scratched his head as he asked his mate.

Sage looked around nervously. "What sweater?"

"It was a beige-colored one. I don't know where I put it. It's not in the laundry room," The alpha said, looking around their shared bedroom to see if he had left it anywhere else.

"I-I haven't seen it…" The omega said as he busied himself with folding his clothes.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Uhh…you must've put it somewhere and forgotten it,"

"But I searched everywhere…."

"Are you sure you wore a beige-colored one? I don't remember seeing you wear a beige-colored sweater…"

"I'm–I'm sure I think… Wasn't it beige?"

"You must've worn something else and forgotten it," The omega cleared his throat.

"Oh okay…" Damien sighed. "I'm losing so many clothes lately. My memory is getting worse," He raked a hand through his hair. The alpha pondered on the idea of seeing a doctor. Forgetting things at a young age could be a sign of some serious diseases. "I'm going out to see my friend. He's a doctor. I want to see if I'm forgetting things because of some vitamin deficiency or something…" He said as he took his keys and wallet.

Sage stayed silent and waited for the alpha to go out of the room before he let out the breath he didn't even know he was holding. Lying to his mate wasn't an easy thing to do. If Damien had looked at him for a few seconds long, then he would have found out the truth. Sage wasn't a good liar.

The omega quickly picked up his phone and made sure the alpha was out of the house before dialing his boss's number. Jude picked up at the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Oh my god, Jude. I think I'm in trouble," Sage said in a panicked voice.

"Woah, Sage, are you okay? What happened?"

"So…um…I've used some of Damien's clothes to build a nest as you said. I stole some of his sweaters and shirts for it. Today he came to ask me if I saw the sweater he wore yesterday. I stole it for my nest! I was so scared and embarrassed about it so I said I didn't see it and then I gaslit him into believing that he has some kind of memory loss. Now, he just went out to see his doctor friend to see if there was anything wrong with him. What do I do?!" The younger omega paced around the room as he explained everything.

There was silence on the other end of the line for a few seconds before Sage heard his boss break into a kind of laughter that highly resembled the sound of a dying horse.

"Come on, this is not the time to laugh," He whined.

"Sage, calm down. Damien won't do anything to you just because you stole some of his clothes,"

"What if they're expensive? How can I pay him back?"

"Relax, he won't ask for money from you, Sage. Stop overthinking. His doctor friend is going to calm him down and send him home. Don't worry," Jude assured the younger omega.

"So everything will be alright?" Sage asked, nervously biting on his fingernails.

"Yes, everything will be alright. And how's my plan working for you? Did the nest thing help?"

"I think…nothing bad happened for the past week. I think it's because of the nest. I made it in the guest room's closet. So far he hasn't doubted anything. I also don't have headaches so often now."

"That's good. I'm glad it worked out. You can call me if there's anything wrong, okay?"

"Okay, I'll call."

"Take care then,"

"You too,"

Sage ended the call and sighed. Talking to Jude did help him calm down his nerves. He was worried about what the alpha's friend would say to him.

What if the doctor thought he was serious and prescribed him some strong pills for memory loss?

And what if the alpha took it and it jeopardized his health?

Oh my god! My lie could kill him!

Even though Sage wasn't fond of the alpha, he didn't want Damien to die. After weeks of living with Damien, he was slowly starting to think that the alpha wasn't that bad.

The omega paced around as he thought about every single thing that could go wrong.

"Shut up, Sage. Nothing like that would happen. If things come to that, then I'll come clean and tell him everything. Stop overthinking!" Sage slapped his own cheeks to snap him out of his thoughts.

He let out a sigh and turned the TV on to distract himself from thinking too much. Everything will be alright.

*
*
*
The omega was immersed in the national geographic documentary about foxes when he heard the front door open. Damien had returned.

He immediately stood up to go to his mate and found him walking to the kitchen. Sage watched as the alpha poured himself a glass of water and drank it. Damien didn't have anything in his hands. So there are no pills?

The alpha looked at his mate who was silently watching him from the doorway. "Umm..do you need anything?" He asked.

Sage flinched and fumbled as he was caught off guard. "Oh…uhh…W-What did the doctor say?" 

"Oh, he—"

The sound of the doorbell ringing made them both pause. Damien frowned as he looked towards the door. "I'll get it," He said before walking out of the kitchen.

Sage followed suit, curious to see who was at the door. They never had visitors after he came to live with Damien.

Damien opened the door to reveal two ladies. A middle-aged lady and the other who looked young but a little older than Damien. The younger lady resembled the alpha a lot so it took Sage by surprise. Are they siblings or something?

"Aunt?" Damien said out loud like he was doubting if it was actually his aunt or not. "Why are you here?"

"That's a rude way to welcome your guests, Damien. Haven't you learned any manners till now, boy?"

"I'm sorry, please come in," He said as he made way for both of them to enter. "I'm just surprised to see you here. Usually, you call me to your place if you want to see me,"

Sage moved away to the corner of the room awkwardly as he watched the ladies come into the living room. "I just wanted to see your place. It's been so long since I've visited you,"

"Oh, um… yes that's true,"

"Daisy mentioned she was going to visit you so I decided to tag along. It's been so long since I came to this part of the city. So this seemed like a two-in-one opportunity," The older lady said as she fanned herself with her hands. "Turn up the AC, will you? Why is it so hot in here?"

"Yes, sure," Damien gave her an awkward smile before taking the air conditioner remote. He threw a  glare at the younger lady as he did so.

"How are you, Damien?" The younger lady asked.

"I'm fine, Daisy. You could have called me before coming. What if I wasn't here?" He said through gritted teeth.

"But you are," She gave him a crooked grin. "Aren't you happy to see your older sister?"

Oh, they're siblings.

"Who is that?" Damien's aunt asked as she pointed at the omega standing in the corner. Sage panicked as all the attention was now drawn to him.

Damien gulped. He had forgotten about Sage. How is he going to explain to them?

"Are you deaf? Who are you?" The older lady probed, her eyes narrowing as she glared at the omega.

"Hello, Ma'am. I'm Sage. I'm a f—"

"He's my housekeeper!"