Chapter 71

"He's my housekeeper!" The alpha cut him off, causing the omega to pause. Sage looked at his mate in surprise.

Housekeeper? 

Not even a friend or an acquaintance?

Wow…that hurt like hell.

"Why is your housekeeper dressed so casually, Damien? Where do you find these types of unprofessional people?" The older lady asked in distaste. "He's an omega on top of it. Is it his pheromones that are all over the house? I was wondering why this house doesn't smell like you anymore. How do you know he's not trying to seduce you or not?" 

Sage looked down as his eyes glazed over with tears. He grabbed the hem of his sweater and gripped it as if his life depended on it. He should be used to this now but something about being insulted right in front of his mate felt so hurtful.  

"H-He's not that kind of person, Theresa. I'm loyal to my g-girlfriend and besides, he's good at cleaning," 

Wow… I thought he was about to defend me…

Good at cleaning, huh? 

Such a nice praise….

"He doesn't seem like the type to be good at his job. We've been here for about fifteen minutes and this lazy guy hasn't even given us a glass of water. What are you paying him for? What they say is truly right. Male omega aren't good at their jobs,"

"That's enough, aunty. Don't scare that guy," Daisy, Damien's sister, interjected. "Can you give us some water?" She asked with a soft smile. 

Jude blinked away his tears and nodded. "Y-Yes," He croaked out before nervously moving towards the kitchen. 

Once the omega was inside the safe walls of the kitchen, he let out a breath of relief and let the tears flow down. He took deep breaths to stop himself from crying. He never felt so undignified in his life. His own mate called him a housekeeper while meeting his family. It hurts a lot, not because he thought housekeeping was a bad job but because his own mate, even after weeks of spending time with him, couldn't refer to him as a friend. 

He was slowly starting to think that Damien isn't bad as he thought he was but that was all a fucking lie. The alpha is an A class asshole. 

The omega wiped his tears and poured two glasses of water before he took them to the living room. He gave them to the ladies and stepped back to stand in the corner again. 

Damien clenched his fists when he got the whiff of his mate's distressed pheromones. The alpha knew he fucked up. He panicked when they questioned about Sage. Telling them he was a housekeeper seemed like a good idea at that moment but he was immediately proven wrong when he saw the look on Sage's face. The omega looked broken and ashamed.

Sage stood in the corner as they all talked for a few minutes. 

"Oh, and I've brought the lists of lands we own in this city. Look and tell me if you find any piece of land suitable for the new building," Daisy said as she searched for the file in her bag. "Got it," She whipped it out only for it to push the glass of water on the table onto the floor. Sage flinched when he heard the glass break. 

"Oh no," Daisy scrunched up her face and looked at Damien apologetically.  

"It's alright. I'll clean it up," Damien let out a sigh.

"What? Why do you need to clean it up? You have a housekeeper. You!" The older lady pointed at Sage. "Why are you standing there like a statue? Come clean this up quick," She ordered.

Damien looked at Sage only to find the omega nodding and going to the kitchen. He came back with a dirt sweeper and kneeled on the floor to pick out the glass shards. 

"Finally this guy is doing some work," The older lady snorted as the omega swiped the floor to dry the water.

"Are you guys planning to stay? I have an appointment in half an hour," The alpha lied.

"What? Are you in that hurry to send us home? We haven't—"

"Actually, we are going. I'm sorry I didn't call you before coming. I should've done that. Let's go, aunt Theresa." Daisy stood up. "Take a look at the file, okay? See you soon,"

Damien nodded at his sister and gave her a grateful smile.

The older lady sighed and stood up. "Come to my house once in a while, okay? Let's spend some time soon," She said before ruffling the alpha's hair. 

Damien gave her a tight-lipped smile and walked them to the door. He waved them goodbye before closing it.

The alpha speed walked towards his mate who was in the kitchen disposing of the glass pieces. The coppery scent of blood entered Damien's nostrils as soon as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Sage, are you hurt?!" He asked in panic when he saw the omega's finger covered in the red liquid. He instantly went to grab the omega's hand to inspect but the Sage took a step back and looked at him in disgust.

"Don't touch me," The omega spat, his eyes red and glossed over as he stared at his mate. 

"Sage…I'm so sorry. I-I panicked when they came all of a sudden. We can talk about it later. Let me clean your cut please, you're losing blood,"

The alpha begged.

"Don't worry, I can do it myself," The omega scoffed. "I'm good at cleaning after all,"