Seventy-Nine

Later on in the feast, Dumbledore stands, moving to the podium and gaining everyone's attention. "The moment has come" He says, smiling around at everyone. "The Triwizard Tournament is about to start. I would like to say a few words of explanation before we bring in the casket-" "The what?" Harry whispers confused.

"Who died?" Juniper adds, Ron and Hermione both shrugging. "Just to clarify the procedure which we will be following this year. But firstly, let me introduce, for those who do not know them, Mr Bartemius Crouch, Head of the Department of International Magical Co-operation and Mr Ludo Bagman, Head of the Department of Magical Games and Sports" Everyone claps for each of them, though the applause was much louder for Ludo.

"Mr Bagman and Mr Crouch have worked tirelessly over the last few months on the arrangements for the Triwizard Tournament, and they will be joining myself, Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime on the panel which will judge the champions efforts" Juniper just now took in the other two Headmasters, Karkaroff being tall and thin with white hair shorter than Dumbledore's and a goatee. As for Maxime, from what Juniper could tell, she was just about as tall as Hagrid with large black eyes and a long pointy nose.

"The casket, then, if you please, Mr Filch" Dumbledore says and Filch appears, holding what looked to be a large chest, encrusted with jewels. Everyone seemed to grow more interested by the second, including Juniper. "The instructions for the tasks the champions will face this year have already been examined by Mr Crouch and Mr Bagman" Filch places the chest on the table Dumbledore was stood in front of.

"And they have made the necessary arrangements for each challenge. There will be three tasks, spaced throughout the school year and they will test the champions in many different ways...their magical prowess- their daring- their powers of deduction- and, of course, their ability to cope with danger" The Hall was completely quiet as they listened to what Dumbledore had to say. "As you know, three champions compete in the tournament"

"One from each of the participating schools. They will be marked on how well they perform each of the Tournament tasks and the champion with the highest total after task three will win the Triwizard Cup. The champions will be chosen by an impartial selector...the Goblet of Fire" Dumbledore takes his wand and taps the top of the chest three times.

The chest slowly opens and he pulls out an old wooden cup, filled to the brim with dancing blue flames. He places the cup on top of the casket after carefully closing it, letting everyone see it. Gasps are heard around the hall as they look at it. "Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment, and drop it into the Goblet" He explains.

Juniper glances around the hall, noticing Draco whispering to Krum, most likely about the tournament. "Aspiring champions have twenty-four hours in which to put their names forward. Tomorrow night, Hallowe'en, the Goblet will return the names of the three it has judged most worthy to represent their schools." "Oh great" Juniper mutters to herself with a sigh. Something always has to happen on her birthday.

"The Goblet will be placed in the Entrance Hall tonight, where it will be freely accessible to all those wishing to compete" Juniper glances down the table where Fred and George's expressions seem to have lit up at the thought of it being freely accessible. "To ensure that no underage student yields to temptation, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it had been placed in the Entrance Hall tonight. Nobody under the age of seventeen will be able to cross this line" Dumbledore adds. Juniper glances back to see the twins now scowling.

"Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you wishing to compete that this Tournament is not to be entered into lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the Tournament through to the end. The placing of your name in the Goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. There can be no change of heart once you have become champion. Please be very sure, therefore, that you are whole-heartedly prepared to play, before you drop your name into the Goblet. Now, I think it is time for bed. Goodnight to you all"