Fifty-One

"You're expecting too much of yourself" Remus says as the three work on more anti-dementor training. "For a thirteen-year old wizard, even an indistinct Patronus is a huge achievement. You aren't passing out anymore, are you?" Remus asks Harry and he shakes his head. "What about me? I'm awful at this. Harry's been doing way better" Juniper sighs defeatedly as she sits on the steps.

Remus takes a seat beside her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "In order to cast a Patronus, not only do you have to concentrate on a powerful memory, you have to believe you can do it. You have to have more hope in yourself, June. Why don't you give it another try" Juniper frowns but stands. She takes a deep breath, standing in front of the box, closing her eyes.

Fred, George and Juniper laugh out of breath as they run down the corridors. "Did you see the look on his face?" "Classic" "I've never done anything like this before. I feel alive!" Juniper laughs, spinning in a circle happily. "Welcome to the team, Eleanor." The twins pat her on the back. They all pause as Flitwick walks by, covered in green goop. They all walk casually, Flitwick muttering about his ruined outfit. Once he's turned the corner, they all laugh again.

"Ready" Juniper opens her eyes. Remus nods, unlocking the box. He opens it and Juniper raises her wand once again. "Expecto Patronum!" She shouts at the dementor. A bright light appears, slowly bringing the dementor into the box. "Yes, Juniper!" Remus cheers while Harry claps with a smile. Remus locks the box, beaming at Juniper. "I told you, you could do it! You just had to believe" "It wasn't an actual Patronus though" Juniper points out and Harry nods in agreement.

Juniper drops down onto the stairs, exhausted and Remus hands her some chocolate. "I thought a Patronus would- charge the Dementors down or something. Make them disappear-" Harry adds. "The true Patronus does do that. But you've achieved a great deal in a very short space of time. If the dementors put in an appearance at your next Quidditch match, you will be able to keep them at bay long enough to get back to the ground." Remus points out.

"You said it's harder if there are loads of them" Harry brings up. "I have complete faith in you two. Here- you've earned a drink. Something from the Three Broomsticks. You won't have tried it before" He pulls out three bottles out and they perk up. "Butterbeer! Yeah, I like that stuff!" Harry quickly nods.

Juniper sends him a look though as Remus raises an eyebrow suspiciously. Harry seems to realize that neither of them should have been to Hogsmeade and quickly backtracks. "Oh- Ron and Hermione brought me some back from Hogsmeade." He says and Juniper slowly nods. "I see" Remus nods, looking between them both.

"Well, let's drink to a Gryffindor victory against Ravenclaw! Not that I'm supposed to take sides, as a teacher..." Remus says and they all drink their butterbeers in silence. "What's under a dementor's hood?" They look towards Harry who was looking at Remus curiously. Juniper shrugs, looking towards Remus as well. "Hmmm...well, the only people who really know are in no condition to tell us. You see, the Dementor lower's it's hood only to use its last and worst weapon" Remus informs them.

"What it's secret weapon?" Juniper wonders. "They call it the Dementor's Kiss. It's what dementors do to those they wish to destroy utterly. I suppose there must be some kind of mouth under there, because they clamp their jaws upon the mouth of the victim and- and suck out his soul" Remus explains. Harry spits out his drink while Juniper gapes at him.

"What- they kill-?" Harry didn't know what to say. "Oh no, much worse than that. You can exist without your soul, you know, as long as your brain and heart are still working. But, you'll have no sense of self anymore, no memory, no...anything. There's no chance at all of recovery. You'll just exist. As an empty shell. And your soul is gone forever...lost" "Remmy, why do you sound so casual? You just told us a horrible way of suicide!"