Forty-Nine

The term had started up again with a fun class as always to Juniper in Care for Magical Creatures where they sat around a bonfire, hanging out with salamanders and Juniper stayed after to help Hagrid with a couple of creatures. They started Palmistry in Divination, Hermione now sitting with Juniper instead of Harry and Ron. Summer and Lucas were too busy being all lovey dovey with each other to tease her.

Juniper liked it better when she didn't know about their relationship. Trelawney still continued to push the whole 'Summer and Harry are on the verge of their death bed' but Summer just tried to ignore it entirely. In Defense Against the Dark Arts, Juniper could tell Lupin was struggling. It upset her to see him in this shape, and being a teacher was definitely not helping his case.

They scheduled a date for the anti-Dementor lessons which will be on Thursday which Juniper could not wait for. More time with her Godfather and she can finally stop reliving her worst nightmares. She stays by after class to check on Remus. "I'm all right, Juniper, I promise" Remus assures her when he notices her expression.

"Are you sure? You don't look like it. I was hoping to spend time with you on Christmas." Juniper frowns. "We can make it up. Come by my office later." Remus gives her a kind smile and she nods, still a frown on her face. Juniper leaves him, heading to dinner. She notices Hermione struggling to carry her bag on the way and stops her.

"Would you like some help?" Before Hermione can answer, she hefts the bag onto her shoulders, carrying it. "You didn't have to do that" Juniper could tell she appreciated it though by the wide smile on her face. "It's no problem. You should really start carrying two bags though" Juniper shakes her head at the weight of the bag. "I think I'll be fine...as long as you can carry it for me" Hermione replies cheekily and Juniper rolls her eyes fondly.

"I suppose I can, but you'll have to owe me" "Anything" Hermione agrees. "Great. Meet me in the common room later tonight and wear something Christmas-y." "What's tonight?" "I can't tell you that" Juniper shakes her head and Hermione frowns but shrugs nonetheless.

*****

"Where are you taking me?" Juniper sighs as Olivia Lovegood leads her across the grounds. "It's a surprise. I'm sure you'll like it." Olivia says confidently. "I hope so" Juniper mutters. "My sister comes here all the time. People aren't very nice to her. I like to come here as well when it gets too loud for me to read." Olivia explains. She starts to head into the forest.

"Um...Olivia?" Juniper questions hesitantly. "Come on. I promise it's not bad" They come across a clearing and spot multiple Thestrals roaming around. Juniper watches on in awe as she looks at the magnificent creatures. "I told you you'd like it. I know you and your love for creatures after all" Olivia walks towards one, petting it and it nuzzles into her.

"How did you find this place?" "I didn't. My sister did. Hagrid showed it to her." "Why didn't he show it to me?" Juniper pouts. "Not sure." Juniper walks towards a baby one, running her hands over it's back. "So, you and Luna can see them too?" Juniper brings up and Olivia nods. "Only people who have witnessed death can. Which means you've seen someone die too" Olivia looks towards her curiously.

"I have. Someone tried to hurt Summer and...my parents took care of him. Killed him right there in front of us. That was the last time they actually seemed like they cared" She frowns as she thinks it over. She feels a hand on her shoulder and notices Olivia had moved closer. "I'm sorry" "It's all right. I'm over it." Juniper shakes her head. "I saw my mum die. I miss her sometimes" Olivia sniffles.

"Luna too?" Olivia nods grimly. "Death is a natural thing though. It'll eventually happen to all of us sometime." Olivia shrugs it off, focusing her attention on the Thestrals. Juniper nods in agreement.