Forty-Four

After DADA where they told Remus what Snape did last class and learned about Hinkypunks, Remus asks Juniper and Harry to stay after class with him. The three walk around the grounds, Remus leading the way. "I'm sorry to hear about your broomstick, Harry. Is there no chance of fixing it?" Remus brings up as they walk.

"No." Harry sighs. "Why did you want to walk around here, Remmy?" Juniper wonders curiously as she looks out into the lake. "It's a beautiful day, don't you think? It's good to get some exercise in every once in a while. Especially with all that laying around you did over the weekend" Remus explains.

"Not that I wanted to" Juniper mumbles. "Professor, why do the dementors affect us so? I mean, more than everyone else?" Remus pauses to look back at the third years. "Listen. The Dementors are amongst the foulest creatures to walk this Earth. They feed on every good feeling, every happy memory..." He starts walking again and the two follow.

"Until a person is left with absolutely nothing but their worst experience. Neither of you are weak, Harry, Juniper." Remus turns to give them pointed looks and they share a glance. "The Dementors affect you most because there are true horrors in your past. Horrors your classmates can scarcely imagine" He's looking towards Harry as he says this. "That I know of for Harry, at least. But, if they are going after you as well, June, it means the same goes for you" He sends her a worried look.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of." Remus finishes, sending another glance Juniper's away. She felt bad, lying to Remus. But she knew if she told him what happens at home, he would do something. And she didn't want that to happen. So, she wasn't going to tell him anything. "I'm scared, professor." Harry admits. "Well, I'd consider you a fool if you weren't." Remus nods.

"I need to know how to fight them. You could teach us. You made that Dementor on the train go away" Harry brings up as they approach their beginning point where Hedwig was sat, waiting. "There was only one that night" Remus points out. "Yeah, but according to the others, you got it to go away. That must mean you know how to get rid of them" Juniper gives him puppy dog eyes.

"I don't pretend to be an expert. But as the Dementors seem to have developed a particular interest in you both...perhaps I should teach you. But after the holidays. For now, I need to rest" They both nod, happy they might learn a spell that will stop the Dementors from terrorizing them.

*****

With Christmas approaching, Juniper set on staying, considering Hogwarts was safer than her home, she couldn't seem to wipe a smile off of her face. She was going to learn how to stop the Dementors, Ravenclaw managed to defeat Hufflepuff which meant Gryffindor still had a chance and Wood was back into the mood of Quidditch and with the Hogsmeade trip coming up on the last weekend before the end of the term, Juniper and Harry will get a chance to use the map and visit the town.

Of course, only them and the Weasley twins knew about it so far, and they weren't sure if they should tell their friends about it or not. They were thinking about just surprising them instead during the Hogsmeade trip and tell them then. Hermione was excited about the Hogsmeade trip, planning on doing some Christmas shopping, trying to be subtle about asking Juniper what she might want for Christmas, though Juniper thought it was cute.

Juniper had confided in Summer and Lucas about her crush, which they were quick to point out that they told her so and her stubborn self got annoyed after and decided to avoid them for a little bit. But, they promised they'd help her find a Christmas present for Hermione at Hogsmeade. Little did they know, she'd be there to help.

After both Juniper and Harry saw their friends off the day of the trip, they both went back up to the common rooms and sat in a secluded corner away from the first and second years, looking over the map, trying to figure out which secret passage to use. They find a passage for Honeydukes, both deciding that was the best way to go.