Forty-Eight

After hours of sitting and chatting at the table, everyone full from the feast, Ron and Harry both stand. "My dears! Which of you left his seat first? Which?" Trelawney panics. "Dunno" Ron and Harry share a nervous look. "I doubt it will make much difference, unless a mad axeman is waiting outside the doors to slaughter the first into the Entrance Hall" McGonagall scoffs.

Everyone snickers around the table, besides Trelawney who still looks scared for the two. Harry turns to look at Hermione and Juniper who were looking at them curiously. "Coming?" "No, I want a quick word with Professor McGonagall" The two nod and Harry turns to look at Juniper.

"Sure" She stands as well, following them out. "Probably trying to see if she can take any more classes." Ron yawns as Juniper looks around curiously for the 'axeman'. They trudge up the multiple stairs and stop outside the Gryffindor common room. Sir Cadogan was busy having a little party. He notices them, his eyes stopping on Juniper.

"Merry-hic-Christmas! Hello, my friend. Come on in" He opens the painting and Juniper smiles. "Thank you, Sir. Lovely to see you again" Juniper walks in as Harry and Ron walk in after, sharing a look. "She doesn't even need a password" Ron whispers confused and Harry shrugs. Harry grabs his Firebolt from his room and the three sit, admiring the shiny new broomstick Harry had gotten.

Soon, Hermione enters, McGonagall right behind her, confusing the three. "So that's it, is it?" McGonagall walks towards the broom. "Miss Granger has just informed me that you have been sent a broomstick, Potter" McGonagall explains. They all turn to look at Hermione, who was hiding behind a book, only her forehead showing, which was red in embarrassment and her book was upside down.

"May I?" She doesn't wait for an answer, taking the broom from them and looking it over. "Hmm. And there was no note at all, Potter? No card? No message of any kind?" "No" Harry answers shortly. "I see...Well, I'm afraid I will have to take this, Potter" McGonagall sighs. Harry bursts out of his seat in disbelief. "W-what? Why?" The three glance at Hermione who was still hiding.

"It will need to be checked for jinxes. Of course, I'm no expert, but I daresay Madam Hooch and Professor Flitwick will strip it down-" "Strip it down?" Ron says incredulously. "It shouldn't take more than a few weeks. You will have it back if we are sure it is jinx-free" McGonagall explains firmly. "Professor, what does it matter if there wasn't a note? It's a Firebolt!" Juniper exclaims and the other two nod.

"There's nothing wrong with it! Honestly, Professor-" "You can't know that, Potter, not until you've flown it, at any rate, and I'm afraid that is out of the question until we are certain that it has not been tampered with. I shall keep you informed" With that, she leaves with the broom as Juniper and Harry stare after while Ron rounds on Hermione in anger.

"What did you go running to McGonagall for?" Ron seethes. Hermione finally removes the book, her face still red but her head held high as she addresses Ron. "Because I thought- and Professor McGonagall agrees with me- that, that broom was probably sent to Harry by Sirius Black!" Hermione exclaims.

*****

Even if Hermione meant well, that didn't stop Ron and Harry from being mad with Hermione. Harry had his new broom taken away and Ron was looking forward to borrowing it and flying around it but now neither could use it. Juniper, on the other hand, could never stay mad at Hermione, even if she wanted a turn on the broom as well. She was mad for a little bit, but after a while (An hour or two), she had decided to forgive Hermione.

Now, the two have been spending time in the library to avoid the others. Well, Hermione was avoiding them and Juniper didn't want her to be alone. The two sit, catching up on some homework they were given over break.