Thirty-Eight

It was supposed to be a fun birthday. That's what Juniper had hoped at least. Instead, here she was, not able to go to Hogsmeade thanks to her parents. She had gotten birthday wishes from a lot of people at breakfast that morning and Lucas and Summer had promised they'd bring her anything back that made them think of her.

She thought it was sweet, but that still didn't help the case that she was stuck with the younger students and maybe a couple older years that were over Hogsmeade. So, instead, she decided she'd spend her day with her favorite Godfather. Lupin had heard she wasn't allowed to go and offered offhandedly to forge Thorn's signature considering he knew how but she declined it, not wanting either of them to get into trouble.

Now, here they sat, in Remus' office, hanging out. Lupin had made some tea for them and offered to go get some snacks from the Hall as well but Juniper wasn't really hungry. "So, tell me Juniper, how are your parents. I haven't seen them in years" Remus brings up. Pain flashes through her eyes, only for a moment.

"They're good." She tells him simply, taking a sip of her tea. "Good?" Remus repeats and Juniper just hums. "Would you mind if I asked you a question?" He brings up. "You can ask me anything, Remmy" She agrees immediately and he smiles. "Why was your boggart Bellatrix Lestrange?" His look wasn't demanding, it was soft, almost like he was letting her know she didn't have to answer if she didn't want to.

"Um..." She fiddles with her fingers nervously. She looks back up as Remus sends her an encouraging smile. "I've met her...a couple times before..." She answers. "You've just met her? That's all?" He asks. Juniper slowly nods, not trusting her voice. She didn't want anyone, especially Remus to know what had actually happened during Bellatrix's visits. The screams of pain start to echo through her head again but she quickly shakes it off.

"I didn't know your parents knew her actually. Now that I think about it though, I guess it makes sense. Related to the Malfoy's. Those two couples and the Myrtle's go way back" Remus explains. "How long did you know my father for?" Juniper brings up curiously. "I knew your father since my third year, his fifth year. He was one of the only ones that knew my secret and he still keeps it."

"Father knows about you?" Juniper asks in surprise. "Honestly, that's what made us friends" He smiles. "Your feature?" Juniper asks and Remus shakes his head at her. "Condition" He corrects. "Feature" Juniper denies. "When I was younger, it was hard being the way I was and having to go to school, but of course, Dumbledore helped me out. There was this place the Marauders and I would go for when I transformed. We'd meet up over by the Womping Willow"

"You'd go over there?? Are you crazy?" "Not as crazy as driving a flying car into it, no" Juniper shrinks back sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck. "You heard..." "Oh, I heard" he nods. "Anyways" Juniper urges him to continue. "At first, Thorn and I didn't get along. He was some snotty, pure-blood" "Was?" "Sorry, is" "Continue" Juniper smiles. "I wasn't a big fan of them. Plus, he was some big shot, a player on the Ravenclaw Quidditch team, acted as if he was the smartest and best person at school"

"That's how him and Marino became such good friends, actually. He'd always wonder why I would suddenly disappear every month, even if we didn't even talk. One night, I guess he decided to follow the other three and he came across me. We managed to convince him not to tell anyone. The others weren't a big fan of him, considering he had also been friends with Lucius before Lucius graduated, but we just seemed to click. We had a lot more in common than I thought."

"Weren't you and father battling on opposite sides in the first wizarding war though?" Juniper brings up. "After that, our friendship started to drift. Which is why, I was surprised when I had gotten a call from him, asking if I could be your Godfather. And even though the two of us don't even talk anymore, I still continue to keep my promise, making sure you're safe and nothing will ever happen to you, as long as I'm there. Which is why, it's serious for you to answer me and tell me if you're treated well at home" Remus brings up worriedly.