Weight Of The World

Warning
- angsty
- mentions of intentional harm to oneself
- depression
- thoughts of ending one's life

Please don't read this if you are sensitive to these topics.

💙

His arms pressed tirelessly against the marble railing, he tapped the butt of his cigarette before pressing the flame against his pale skin, feeling the ash burn into him. It used to hurt; however, now he couldn't feel a thing nor did he notice the purple blotch of his skin. The cold wind began to whisper sweet murmurs; however, his mind was off on a different subject. A different world. A different thought. It was hard to pay attention to the positives when the negatives nagged and nagged and nagged. He heard the slider door open and a soft voice called out to him. 

"Hey… You ignored my texts and I thought something horrible happened to you.. So I came.. To.. Visit. I hope you don't mind my company, especially since you are alone," his voice was like soft music to his ears; however, it felt like there was a planet between them. A void between them. A galaxy between them. He opened his mouth only for the words to get jumbled up in his throat: unavailable to escape the void that surrounded it. 

The shorter blond male took a step towards the taller male and slowly inched. Inched closer to him. Inched closer to the railing. Inched closer to the truth. 

"Is everything alright…? Do you wish to talk about it..?" 

"No. I think I am having an off day, that's all," an attempted smile twitched itself on his thin lips; however, his shorter twin noticed. He noticed everything. He probably noticed the way his eyes didn't sparkle behind his black sunglasses or the way he didn't chuckle to relieve the tension that could be cut by a butter knife.

"An off day?" His younger twin pressed. He always pressed. The other would always crack under the pressure. He bit his lip. Not today. Not today. Not today. 

"Yes." He shifted away from the younger twin, wrapping his arms underneath him as the younger's bright blue eyes noticed him pick at his bandages. "Just having some troubles." 

"Mitchell," the tone of voice startled Mitch out of his feverish picking as the younger twin, Maple, ripped his arm from out underneath him as their blue eyes examined, shivering breaths exhaling out as he felt his twin run his fingers against his pale skin. 

"Why?" 

The question swept him off his feet as his words felt congested in his throat, STILL. How could he defend himself when he CLEARLY burnt his fate on his skin? His twin took a step back, examining him. Observing him. Judging him. 

At that second, he felt his weight give in, his knees slamming into the gentle balcony as his fingernails dug themselves past his bandages and into his flesh. His old wounds that never did heal. 

"Mitch! Please! I know it's hard to talk to me but I am your brother: I am here for you!" He leaned forward, softly taking off the male's sunglasses, noticing his matted lashes and glossy gray grave eyes. "I can't help you if you don't open up to me." 

"There's so much weight," he choked out. He knew Maple could see past his black shades as he lifted himself up and glanced over at the city as soft drops of rain started around them. He drew a puff from his cig as he murmured: "The weight of the world."