i. platform 9 & 3/4s

𝐏𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐌 𝟗 & 𝟑/𝟒 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐁𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆. Both of Raya's parents had made the journey with her to drop her off. 

Alphanso Newbrooke stared at the scarlet steam train with a fond look on his face, probably reminiscing his time at the school. Marybeth Wellcroft had an awestruck expression, almost as if she never imagined to see the train in real life. Of course, being a Muggle meant she hadn't until today.

"You've got everything, right hun?" her mother asked, finally tearing her eyes away from the train.

"Oh, yeah," she nodded. "Luggage, my owl, robes, wand, books, and everything else. I've got to load up if I want a nice spot."

"Phone?"

"Yes," she told her mother.

"I don't even know if they allow those in there," her dad said. He quickly fixed his statement at her mother's glare, "Of course, it doesn't hurt to try."

"Mom, I'll be fine," she told her.

"Yeah, alright," her mother pulled her in for a hug. She kissed the top of her forehead, "I'm so proud of you, baby. Let's put your stuff away."

Her dad carried her trunks into the compartment, tucking them away. She smiled at him, hugging him tightly.

"I'm gonna miss you so much," his British accent was heavy — like it usually got when he was emotional. "Have fun, okay?"

"I will," she told him. "I'm gonna miss you too, dad."

"I know you will," he grinned, getting off the train and talking to her through the window. "I'm pretty hard to not miss."

"Oh please," her mother swatted his arm. "Make sure you have fun, but do well in school. And keep up with your math and science and—"

"Mar, she'll be fine," her dad assured her. "She's our girl."

"Considering the mischief you got up to in your years, I'm not going to apologize for being a little concerned," her mother rolled her eyes.

Raya laughed a little, fiddling with her wand in her sleeve holster. From Ollivanders' it was nine and a half inches of black walnut wood with a phoenix feather core. Ollivander had creeped her out a bit, telling her a wand like that had never been sold before.

"Hey, can I sit here?" a boy with dark brown hair and bright grey eyes slightly darker than her own appeared at the door. He lugged his trunks behind him, nearly sweating with the effort of carrying them.

"Yeah, of course," Raya made space for him in the compartment.

"Thanks," he sat down across from her. "I'm Cedric. Cedric Diggory."

"Raya Newbrooke," she shook his hand. "Are you a first year too?"

"Mhm," he nodded. "I'm a little nervous, but I think everyone is. Hey, if we get put in the same house, that would be so cool."

"Even if we don't get put in the same houses, I still thing we'd be good friends," Raya laughed.

A man appeared at the window, exchanging words with Cedric. Raya could see the similarities between them, realizing that was his dad.

The train began to move, Raya and Cedric's parents both running slightly, saying their final goodbyes.

"Have fun!"

"We love you!"

Raya watched as her parents fell behind, the train whooshing past the platform.

"We'll see them for Christmas," she told Cedric, who suddenly looked very sad. "And you can write letters whenever you want. It'll be like they're right there."