xvi. buses and movies

𝐕𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐄'𝐒 𝐃𝐀𝐘 𝐀𝐓 𝐇𝐎𝐆𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐖𝐀𝐒... 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆. 

Normally, Raya and her friends would exchange some candy, and laugh at Fred's attempts to ask Amora Phillips out. He was outgoing in everything he did, but standing in front of Amora always left him tongue tied.

This year, sitting in the Great Hall, the walls were covered in giant pink flowers. Heart shaped confetti fell from the ceiling, getting in Raya's cereal.

"This is... new," Thomas muttered, taking a seat. 

Nathaniel made face, motioning towards the teacher's table, "I think we've found our problem."

Lockhart, wearing lurid pink robes to match the decorations, was waving for silence. The teachers on either side of him were looking stony-faced. 

"Happy Valentine's Day!" Lockhart shouted. "And may I thank the forty-six people who have so far sent me cards! Yes, I have taken the liberty of arranging this little surprise for you all — and it doesn't end here!" 

"We're allowed to send the teachers cards?" Raya turned to her friends. "I didn't know that."

"Please don't tell me you want to send one to Lockhart," Thomas muttered. "I think it'll kill me."

"Ew, no," she said. "But like Professor Sinastra, and Flitwick, and Kettleburn, and even Sikander. I think a few of them deserve some candy."

"I'm sure Lockhart's surprise would interest you," Nathaniel muttered. "Well, maybe not."

Lockhart clapped his hands and through the doors to the entrance hall marched a dozen surly looking dwarfs. Not just any dwarfs, however. Lockhart had them all wearing golden wings and carrying harps. 

"My friendly, card-carrying cupids!" beamed Lockhart. "They will be roving around the school today delivering your valentines! And the fun doesn't stop here! I'm sure my colleagues will want to enter into the spirit of the occasion! Why not ask Professor Snape to show you how to whip up a Love Potion! And while you're at it, Professor Flitwick knows more about Entrancing Enchantments than any wizard I've ever met, the sly old dog!"

Professor Flitwick buried his face in his hands. Snape was looking as though the first person to ask him for a Love Potion would be force-fed poison.

"I'm kind of tempted to ask for one just to see the look on his face," Thomas muttered as they left the Great Hall. "That old man is miserable."

"I'm pretty sure he'd feed you to the giant squid," Raya told him as they headed over to Potions.

All throughout the day, they were interrupted by the little cupids handing out their Valentines. At one point, Snape threatened to shove the next one who interrupted into a cauldron. 

They moved on to Care of Magical Creatures, where a dwarf who interrupted managed to scare off a Hippogriff. Professor Kettleburn was rushed off to the hospital wing.

During Ancient Runes, sixteen dwarves filed in, performing a musical number for Professor Bathsheda Babbling. She was so flustered, she closed the door on the dwarves' face.

"Please never allow Lockhart to be in charge of Valentine's day again," Cierra groaned as they all sat in the common room. "I've been kicked in the knees by way too many dwarves."

"Those tiny things have mighty kicks," Cho agreed, rubbing her ankles.

Raya nodded in agreement as she finished up her Charms homework. Professor Flitwick didn't give them many written assignments, which is why when they were handed one, they were all expected to finish it.