vi. trolls and presidents

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐃 𝐁𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐇𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒.

Whether it was hers, a friends, or some random stranger's on the street: she just everything about them. The presents, and singing, and food. Just the fact that you take a day out of your life to put someone else first, made her giddy with excitement.

She skipped down to the Great Hall for breakfast, a large part of her joy coming from the fact that her dad played music that didn't make her brain rattle this morning.

"You're old," was the first thing Thomas said as she sat down in front of him.

"What?"

"Happy birthday," he corrected, pulling out a rectangular package. "You're old."

"I'm literally thirteen," she argued, taking the package. "That's only a year older than you. A couple months if we're being honest. Thank you."

"It's your birthday. You don't have to thank me," he waved it off. "But you're still old. And you're just gonna get older. We'll be forty nine, and you'll already be fifty."

"Oh shut up," Raya kicked him under the table. "Brat."

"Open the present."

Raya opened the purple package (her favorite color), smiling brightly at the two books. "You got me books? With cover art from your friend?"

"Actually," Thomas coughed, "I — I drew that."

"You drew it?!" Raya exclaimed, staring in awe. "It's so pretty. I'm not sure if I want to jump into it, or frame it and never let anyone touch it."

"It's your book," Thomas shrugged. "I'll let you read it on your own, but it's about a couple kids who do a heist. And it's a fantasy world. I think you'll like it."

"Thank you," Raya told him sincerely. "This is perfect."

She packed the books away, too terrified that she would accidently ruin them if she left them out. A pair of arms wrapped around her back, squeezing tight.

"Happy birthday!!" Cedric swayed her in her seat. He slipped in next to her. "I got something for you."

Raya grinned as he held out a plush grey elephant for her.

"Oh my god, that's the most adorable thing I've ever seen!" she squealed, hugging it. "It's so soft. No man is good enough anymore. I'm marrying this."

Thomas snorted.

Raya stuck her middle finger out and ignored him.

Cedric — who'd grown used to their weird communication habits — didn't miss a beat and pulled out a small bag. "Also, you love candy."

"Thank you," she grinned, giving the boy a quick hug. "It's amazing!"

"I'll see you later, okay?" he told her. "Gotta head to Quidditch training."

Like Raya, Cedric had been accepted on the Hufflepuff team as the Seeker. He was quite good, and Raya had a feeling he might become Captain one day.

"Where's Cierra?" Thomas asked. "Doesn't she normally come down with you?"

"Yeah, but she wasn't feeling good today," Raya told him. "So I got her medicine from Pomfrey and stuck her in her bed."

"Ah, looks like there's some sort of bug going around," Thomas muttered. "Nathaniel wasn't feeling well for like a week now. Finally convinced that bugger to take a day off. Wouldn't even ask Madame Pomfrey for medicine."

"It's weird for him," Raya shrugged. "He's a Muggleborn. He's not used to drinking a potion and being cured of the flu the next day."

Fluttering and scuffling sounded, followed by hundreds of white and grey and even a few brownish figures flying into view. Raya grinned as Hoot dropped a number of envelopes and packages in front of her.