xv. the quidditch cup

"𝐋𝐄𝐓'𝐒 𝐆𝐎 𝐖𝐄𝐀𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐘𝐒!" Raya cheered loudly for her friends.

It was the final match of the Quidditch season. If Gryffindor won the cup by more than two hundred points, they won the Quidditch cup. Otherwise, it was Slytherin's.

Raya was decked out in the gold and red of Gryffindor to cheer on her friends. Most of the school was cheering for Gryffindor — having at least one friend there. The Slytherins were more isolated, which didn't bring in a lot of opposite house fans.

Raya was still upset about her own house losing, but she was beyond happy for her friends today. 

A little guilty, she thought back to Kayse's words. If he lost, he might never have the chance to play again.

He'll play again, Raya forced herself to think. I still need to beat him. And besides, today's not about him, or even a certain blond-haired beauty who made Raya's heart beat faster and hurt all at the same time (who Raya had only been able to contact through sparse letters over the past month).

It's about Fred, and George, and even Harry, who had become a more of a friend to her than he was a few months ago.

"Mount your brooms!" said Madam Hooch. "Three... two... one..."

Raya forced the unnecessary thoughts out of her head.

The sound of Hooch's whistle was lost in the roar from the crowd as fourteen brooms rose into the air. 

"And it's Gryffindor in possession," Lee was announcing, "Alicia Spinner of Gryffindor with the Quaffle, heading straight for the Slytherin goal posts, looking good, Alicia! Argh, no — Quaffle intercepted by Warrington, Warrington of Slytherin tearing UP the field — WHAM! — nice Bludger work there by George Weasley, Warrington drops the Quaffle, it's caught by — Johnson, Gryffindor back in possession, come on, Angelina — nice swerve around Montague — duck, Angelina, that's a Bludger — SHE SCORES! TEN - ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"

Angelina punched the air as she soared around the end of the field; the sea of scarlet below was screaming its delight, Raya one of the loudest.

"OUCH!" Angelina was nearly thrown from her broom as Marcus Flint went smashing into her.

"Sorry!" said Flint as the crowd below booed. "Sorry, didn't see her!"

A moment later, Fred Weasley chucked his Beater's club at the back of Flint's head. Flint's nose smashed into the handle of his broom and began to bleed.

"That will do!" shrieked Madam Hooch, zooming between then. "Penalty shot to Gryffindor for an unprovoked attack on their Chaser! Penalty shot to Slytherin for deliberate damage to their Chaser!"

"Come off it, Miss!" howled Fred, but Madam Hooch blew her whistle and Alicia flew forward to take the penalty.

"Come on, Alicia!" yelled Lee into the silence that had descended on the crowd. "YES! SHE'S BEATEN THE KEEPER! TWENTY - ZERO TO GRYFFINDOR!"

Raya turned to the other end of the field to watch Flint, still bleeding freely, fly forward to take the Slytherin penalty. Wood was hovering in front of the Gryffindor goal posts, his jaw clenched.

"'Course, Wood's a superb Keeper!" Lee Jordan told the crowd as Flint waited for Madam Hooch's whistle. "Superb! Very difficult to pass — very difficult indeed — YES! I DON'T BELIEVE IT! HE'S SAVED IT!"

Raya held up the Gryffindor flag she made, with pictures of Fred and George's face plastered on the lion's head. "LET'S GO BOYS!"

"MAKE MAMA PROUD!" Elias yelled, waving his own flag.