viii. the wonky faint

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐋𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍 𝐒𝐄𝐄𝐊𝐄𝐑 𝐖𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐒𝐇𝐄𝐃 𝐏𝐀𝐒𝐓 𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀. She watched Terrence Higgs for a second, before deciding he was pulling a bluff.

His fifth of the game.

He had this weird idea that if he kept pulling the same feint, even though the Snitch was nowhere nearby, Raya would follow him and then he could execute some mastermind plan of his. Raya thought it was stupid.

Ravenclaw had scored seven goals, Slytherin four. Avery was out for the game, which meant Cissy — the backup Keeper — was in. She was good, just no match for Avery.

Raya pulled her Nimbus 2001 in the other direction, flying higher and around the stands to try and catch sight of the Snitch.

"And Pucey's got the Quaffle — but woah, Roger stole it right outta his hands," Lee whistled. "And let's go Roger — he's passed it to Austen, who passes it back — and oh Merlin, he nearly got hit with a Bludger. Jordan, the Ravenclaw Beater's taken control of the situation, and — what do you know — the Slytherin Seeker is trying to pull another feint. Anyways, Austen to Avery thr Chaser, Avery to Austen, back to Avery, and Roger's got it in the goal! RAVENCLAW SCORES! This quick-passing drill is one of their best ever," Lee's grin could be heard through the speakers. 

The crowd erupted in cheers, hooting at the epic play that was made. Even some Slytherins looked impressed.

"And well, Evans just hit the Bludger so far off. Whoever took the bet that he doesn't hit a single Bludger correctly this game owes me five galleons. He's horrible — OW! PROFESSOR, YOU CAN'T HIT ME WITH YOUR UMBRELLA! THAT'S ABUSE!"

Raya tuned him out the second she sat something gold zipping around the distance. Admitting they were beating Slytherin by a decent amount, she made the decision that she would go grab it.

She turned towards Higgs, only to see him watching her carefully.

She raised a brow. Had he seen her spot the Snitch? Raya took a deep breath.

Only one way to find out.

Keeping one eye on it's position, she angled her broom downwards, and shot off.

"Oh my, it looks like the Ravenclaw Seeker has spotted the Snitch," Lee commented, looking around. "Higgs is hot on her tail — now it's a race to see who grabs it first."

Raya smirked as she neared the ground. She didn't go so fast as to lose Higgs, just fast enough to keep him close, but not raise any suspicion. When the grass was right in front of her face, she lifted her broom and shot towards the real direction of the Snitch, unable to help the grin that appeared as she heard cursing behind her.

"DID YOU SEE THAT?" Lee yelled. "DID YOU FUCKING SEE THAT?! Oh shit — fuck — I swear I'm not doing it on purpose Professor! But holy Merlin and Morgana, did you all see that?!!! Raya Newbrooke has just performed the Wronski Feint perfectly."

Her fingers closed around the small ball, and she held it up to the crowd.

"And she's got the snitch! RAVENCLAW WINS!" Lee exclaimed. "She pulled the most amazing Wronski Feint I've ever seen, the second student who's ever successfully managed that in Hogwarts history in the last hundred years! This is a momentous day!"

The crowd responded in kind, throwing scarves and gloves, holding up their 'RAVENCLAW'S TOP SEEKER' shirts, and absolutely losing their minds.

Raya didn't stop smiling until much later.

Even as the Eagle Knocker gave her the riddle: "I have two eyes, but cannot see."

"A man who's blindfolded," she answered, still smiling even though the riddle made her wanna bash his nonexistent brains. "Don't fucking argue with me. It's got two 'I's and it can't see. I answered your riddle. Besides, I just pulled a Wronski Feint, and I'm happy today. Let me in."