vii. loki

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐍𝐎𝐈𝐒𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐃 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀'𝐒 𝐁𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐔𝐌. The first week of December had arrived, and with it, Ravenclaw's first game of the season against Hufflepuff. The stands were filled with practically every student of the two houses, along with a good number of Gryffindors and Slytherins.

The Weasleys decided to stick Raya's face on a t-shirt, with the words 'RAVENCLAW'S TOP SEEKER' on it. The two were wearing their own, and selling many others to the crowd. They promised Raya a portion of the profits. 

Judging by how often she saw her face when she looked down, she had a feeling the boys were making bank.

Madame Hooch blew the whistle to start the game and instantly, Raya's mind settled.

She saw each person as not a person, but a player. She ticked off their strengths and weaknesses. Raya's attention was towards the Snitch, her mind still alert for all the players movements.

She raised herself high into the sky, probably higher than most Seekers would go in the cold weather, but she preferred it.

The cold kept her focused. It made her senses alert, and the height allowed her to see more of the pitch. 

The Golden Snitch didn't stay within the boundaries of the field. While it usually stayed nearby, it rarely stayed on the field for long. Being higher than usual gave Raya more advantage than Cedric to look for it.

Lee was commentating for the match, occasionally cheering for either team.

"And we're off to an exciting start!" he grinned. "The Ravenclaw Captain and star Chaser, Austen Bellweather's got the Quaffle. And oh — nice feint from the Ravenclaw sending Heidi Macavoy down. Don't worry, he's coming back up. Right, left, Austen's dodging these Hufflepuff players and reminding the crowd why he's the Captain. Passing the Quaffle to Roger — highly likely that he may become Captain soon — he just dodged a stray Bludger that went on to hit Meltano Jones — the Keeper. Now's Ravenclaw's chance — and Roger has thrown the Quaffle — oh my Merlin — Avery's caught it and he's passing it down — and Austen has shot the Quaffle! HE SCORES! I have no idea where Austen came from, but the Chasers have clearly practiced this quick passing play."

Raya paid enough attention to the game to catch the next five Ravenclaw goals, followed by two from Hufflepuff. 

Her brain continued making notes of the players — both on Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Raya needed to thank Austen for making her do this during all of their practices. He must've known that she wouldn't have to divert so much of her attention from the Snitch if she just practiced.

Lee continued, "Hufflepuff's finally gotten in their second goal of the game, just a little too much on Avery's right — but Ravenclaw is still leading 120 - 20. And there goes the Ravenclaw Captain — isn't he dreamy — whew, narrowly avoided a Bludger there. There's one of Ravenclaw's Beaters, Hernando, and he's redirected the Bludger towards the Hufflepuff Chasers who barely missed them — Hufflepuff beaters need to stay alert."

Maybe it was ironic, but that was the moment Raya noticed the Snitch.

Small and gold and moving very fast, it darted near the corner of the Hufflepuff net. Raya lowered herself slowly, nonchalantly, making it look like she was only seeing the game more clearly.

Once she was level, she spotted Cedric on the other side of the field, still searching. Adjusting herself on her broom, she took off with a burst of speed. 

"And it looks like the Weasley's were right to make a shirt with Raya Newbrooke's face on it," Lee commented gleefully, "because she's spotted the Snitch and she's going for it — uh oh, Hufflepuff's Seeker — a good friend of hers, I'm told — is also racing for it. Of course, there's no point, really. Because RAYA'S GOT THE SNITCH! RAVENCLAW WINS! 270 - 50!"