xiv. wrist snatched

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐖𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐂𝐊 𝐅𝐄𝐋𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄. She'd read about it in books, when the main character realized their best friend was a traitor, or when the villain tried to kill them... but she never understood it. Would their brain stop sending signals, leaving their body to lock up? Or would their brain try sending signals, and their body just wouldn't respond?

So this is what going into shock feels like, Raya thought as she stared down at her mess of an arm.

Turns out, her brain was sending way too many signals, and her body wasn't sure which one to respond to. 

"Holy Merlin!" Cierra, her desk partner for Charms, exclaimed. 

Thankfully, Cierra wasn't going into shock at the sight of Raya's arm. Then again, it wasn't her arm.

"Professor Flitwick!" Ciera raised her hand. "Come quick! Raya's dying!"

Raya had just enough sense to mumble, "I'm not dying."

Cierra's statement managed to get Professor Flitwick's attention, along with the Gryffindors who they shared this class with.

Flitwick hurried over, flinching at the sight of Raya's arm. 

Apparently, the Severing Charm, when misaimed, can cause bone to disappear. As soon as Flitwick gave them the go ahead to start practicing, Raya didn't notice a stray stream of green light hit her arm until her wrist bone was gone.

"Oh dear," he muttered. "Miss Stone, please take her to the hospital wing right away. Tell Madam Pomfrey everything you can."

"I'm fine," Raya muttered, even though she didn't believe it.

She should be feeling pain, she knew that. But either she was still in shock, or her pain receptors were so overloaded that she couldn't feel a thing. She hoped it was the first.

"Nonsense," Flitwick said. "Take her now."

Cierra nodded, taking Raya out of the class and towards the hospital wing.

It was only when Raya remembered she had a Quidditch match that day that she began to feel the pain.

"You can't take me to the hospital wing," she stopped Cierra. "I can't go today."

"Raya, shut up," Cierra shook her head. "You're literally missing your damn wrist. What the hell are you gonna do with a useless hand? It's your right hand!"

"I'll become a leftie for the day!" Raya shrugged. "I don't care, Cee. I have a game today. There's no way Pomfrey will let me go out if she sees me."

"There's no way I'm gonna let you go out," she said. "I know you have a game, and you love Quidditch, but Raya, be fucking reasonable for once. You're literally useless to the team if you've got a mangled up hand."

"I can't keep letting them down," Raya argued.

"You're not letting anyone down," she promised. "If any one of them knew about this, they'd be dragging you back into the hospital wing themself. And Professor Flitwick will be asking about your hand. You won't be able to hide it from everyone."

"It's the last game of the season," Raya slumped as they continued to the hospital wing. "It's Roger's last game at Hogwarts ever. I can't — I hate this."

"You've got next year," she promised. "And I heard there's been at least three professional teams interested in signing Roger. Ravenclaw will be fine."

Raya didn't argue, but she knew Ravenclaw was going to lose. They were playing Gryffindor — arguably the most stacked team this year. And Harry had gotten a Firebolt, which would absolutely destroy Cho's Comet Two Sixty. Raven still needed to build up her confidence, otherwise she would never get past Wood.