xiii. wet skeletons

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀, 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐋𝐘, 𝐌𝐀𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐋𝐀𝐖 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐓𝐄𝐀𝐌 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍. This year's tryouts were lots of fun, even though they had to do two rounds because of how many people were interested. Raya had managed to catch the Snitch this time, blocking the opposing Seeker and waiting when needed. 

They kept the core from last year — as is usually done in Quidditch — adding players where they had gaps.

Raya was the team's Seeker, Avery the Keeper, Chris, Roger and Avery the Chasers, and Tyler and Umayza were the Beaters.

Roger went a little tough on them, but once he explained that the Slytherin team all had Nimbus 2001s, the team didn't argue with his decisions that much. 

It'd been about a month into their own practices, and Raya wasn't sure if they'd be able to beat them. Talent-wise, she'd give Ravenclaw the spot, but at the end of the day, the Slytherins were just too damn fast.

Thomas — who Raya had enlisted to spy on them — confirmed that the team looked like super fast green blurs.

Raya opened her drawer one morning before practice, only to see a small gold ball fly out of it. It was the Golden Snitch from Ravenclaw's last game against Gryffindor.

How it managed to stay there without a single person — or elf — noticing made no sense to Raya. But she wasn't complaining.

She played with the Snitch whenever she could, letting it fly for a bit, before catching it again. It became a bit of stress relief for her. 

While making a Potion, she played with it under her desk. While trying to prove Lockhart was a fraud, she threw it up and down behind her back. While Professor Sikander taught them how to use a polaroid camera, Raya passed it between her hands.

As she walked to their weekly Astronomy lesson at midnight, she wrapped her fingers around it in her pocket.

"You've got an unhealthy addiction to that thing," Thomas noted as they made their way up the Astronomy Tower.

"To what?" Cedric asked from the other side of her.

"The Snitch that she's playing with in her pocket," Thomas said, motioning towards it.

"I still don't understand how you got that off the field," Cedric muttered. "I mean, Madame Hooch is very particular about the Quidditch equipment."

"Believe me, I have no clue either," Raya told him, opening the door to the top of the tower. "Maybe it was the rush after winning the final game. Honestly, it just happened so fast. She probably just thought it flew away."

The three of them arrived on the top of the tower, waiting for Professor Sinistra to begin her lesson.

"Who can tell me what Zodiac we are in?" Aurora Sinistra began.

Raya raised her hand, "The Libra season has just started."

"Correct," she nodded. "Tell me about the Libra constellation. What do you know? When it is visible?"

"Libra's the only Zodiac constellation that represents a symbol, not an animal," Raya responded. "It stands for balance, and in Greek mythology is related to the Greek Goddess of Justice, Themis. It lies between Virgo and Scorpio. In the northern hemisphere — where we are — it's most visible in the summer. However, it lacks bright starts, so it's not always easy to find."

"Wonderful," she smiled. "Ten points to Ravenclaw."

Raya got her notebook ready, taking notes as Professor Sinistra began speaking of the different constellations.