xlix. death warrants

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐍𝐄𝐀𝐑𝐋𝐘 𝐅𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐐𝐔𝐈𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇 𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇. A twenty-foot-high hedge ran all the way around the edge of it. There was a gap right in front of where the Champions stood: the entrance to the vast maze. The passage beyond it looked dark and creepy.

"Oh Gods," she whispered weakly. "This is — I can't — it's too hard to look at."

"There, there," Kayse muttered, patting her back.

A cold feeling settled in Raya's bones, and she wanted nothing to do with the third task. Thinking about it made her feel worse, but she needed to support Cedric.

"I'll be back," she said to her friends, running down the stands and to where the Champions were standing.

"Hey, what are you doing down here?" Cedric asked. 

"Just—" she stared at the maze behind him, suppressing a shiver. Technically it was the easiest task, but it made her feel more uneasy than the rest. She threw her arms around Cedric, "Be safe. If you have to forfeit, but it means you'll make it out alive, do it. Give Hogwarts its glory some other way."

"Okay, okay," he told her, hugging her back. "I'll be safe."

"Safe," Raya repeated, pulling away. She stumbled with the silver bracelet, pulling it off and giving it to Cedric. "Wear this."

"Uh..."

"Not to interrupt this," Ludo Bagman interrupted, "but the task is starting soon. If you could go back to your seat—"

"—Five minutes," she said, pushing his face away. She turned to Cedric, "Wear that, and don't take it off. It's a shield. My dad—" she motioned to the sky, hoping Cedric would realize she meant Apollo "—gave it to me. It'll keep you safe."

Cedric looked hesitant, but at Raya's pleading glance, slipped it on. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck," Raya hugged him once more, the cold feeling in her bones barely settled.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin!" Ludo Bagman's magically enhanced voice echoed through the stands. "Let me remind you how the points currently stand! Tied in first place, with eighty-five points each — Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Harry Potter, both of Hogwarts School!" The cheers and applause sent birds from the Forbidden Forest fluttering into the darkening sky. "In second place, with eighty points — Mr. Viktor Krum, of Durmstrang Institute!" More applause. "And in third place — Miss Fleur Delacour, of Beauxbatons Academy!" Another set of polite applause.

Raya waved at Harry and Cedric, who were both looking a little less nervous than before.

"So... on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" said Bagman. "Three — two — one—" 

He gave a short blast on his whistle, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze. 

Raya watched as they seemed to be hidden completely by the maze the second they stepped in. Something about this bothered her way more than it should.

"And now, Viktor!" Bagman blew his whistle.

Viktor sped past him, entering the maze and disappearing entirely.

"Is it just me or does the maze seem a bit... creepy to you?" Kayse whispered.

"Oh thank Gods," she muttered. "I thought no one else saw it, so I didn't say anything. That thing gives me the heebie-jeebies!"

"Heebie-jeebies?" Kayse repeated, holding back a laugh.

"Oh, damn those Weasleys," Raya muttered. "Fred and George have been saying that way too often, and now I've caught on. I hate this."