x. greek triremes

"𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐔𝐋𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄," Chiron said. "You must use materials that you make, not pre-cut or whittled. It must be done by your own hand. You are allowed to work in pairs, and you must be at least twelve," he sent a meaningful look towards the Stolls. "If you're younger than twelve, you will be part of the judging committee. Any questions?"

Raya absentmindedly threw some bacon for Loki, scratching his ears as he climbed up and into her lap.

Chiron had announced a building contest — to promote unity between the campers or something. Working in pairs, they had to build a model of an Ancient Greek trireme that was large enough to float in canoe lake, while carrying both builders.

"How long do we have?" Charles Beckendorf, one of the younger Hephaestus kids asked. He had just turned twelve and looked pretty darn happy about it.

"Until the second last week of Camp," Chiron answered. "On the first day of the final week, judging will take place, and winners will be announced during the final week. Now, be sure to choose your partners wisely as you will not be able to change them. You cannot get help from the other demigods or satyrs, but if the nature spirits choose to help out, they may. You may choose your partner once you are done with breakfast."

Luke met Raya's eye from the Hermes table — asking her a silent question. She nodded, grinning.

Luke had grown out his shaggy blond hair recently, long enough for Raya to make a cute little palm tree on top of his head. And as much as Raya loathed to admit, he'd gotten taller too. From five foot eight, he'd grown to nearly five foot eleven. Raya, standing at a measly five foot looked even shorter next to her best friend.

Chiron sighed to himself as all of the campers began picking out their partners immediately, paying his last instruction no mind.

"Wanna head over to my Cabin?" Luke asked as the two of them stood in green, papers and pencils in their arms. "We can start there, then move out once it gets too big."

Raya glanced at the Hermes Cabin, tilting her head at the Stolls chasing some of their older siblings with whipped cream, some older kids hanging upside down from the roof, some younger kids singing a creepy version of 'This Land Is Minos' Land', and one child who sat on the porch, holding out his tarantula for everyone who walked by.

"Hard pass," she muttered, trying not to laugh at the scene.

"Okay, point taken," Luke laughed, raising his hands in defense. "But, I'm not sure your cabin is any better."

Raya turned her head to the Apollo Cabin, ready to argue in her siblings defense, only to see Leila chasing Noor with her slipper and swearing at him in Gujarati, Ricardo waving his sanitizer bottle in the air as he glared at one of his 'patients' who was refusing to head back to the infirmary, Lee knocking an arrow backwards in his bow, and Elisha playing the Back in Black riff on her violin.

"Yeah, you're right," she muttered, adjusting Loki on her shoulders. "So, our Cabins are out of the picture. Wanna check out the fields?"

The two of them stared at the cherry red cows covering the fields.

"What the Hades?" Luke mumbled.

"They're holy cows."

"What?"

"Apollo's sacred cows," she explained. "Someone had shipped them to Hogwarts, and they were going to eat them at a feast. Of course I had to go explain to Dumbledore why this was a very bad idea, adding a few veiled threats. He said he'll send them back to Camp. I am only now realizing that he did indeed send them back."