iii. traditions

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐎𝐆𝐖𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐒 𝐄𝐗𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒. The scarlet steam train was already filling up with students as they loaded into their carriages. Raya stood between her parents, her trolley with her luggage and owl cage in front of her.

"You've got Hoot's food, right?" Her mom, Marybeth, asked, referring to her owl.

"I've got more than enough food for him," Raya responded. "I've been feeding him so much, I think he's gotten fatter."

"I doubt that," her mother waved it off. "Besides, Hoot's gonna be delivering lots of letters. He can have all the treats he wants."

Hoot hooted, ruffling his feathers as Raya's mother pet him through the cage.

"Raya!" Cedric appeared through the crowd, pushing his own trolley. His father, Amos Diggory, and his mother, Elwina Diggory, trailed behind.

"Hi Ced," Raya hugged her friend.

Their parents made conversation, both of their fathers reminiscing their own days at Hogwarts.

"Guess who we just saw!" Fred and George ran into them.

"Jeez, watch where you're running," Raya rubbed her side. "I think you killed my kidney."

"Oh who cares about your kidney? Buy a new one," Fred waved it off. "We just saw the dude who killed You-Know-Who. It was so epic. He even has the scar."

"Harry Potter?" Raya asked. "The dude has a name, you know? Also, considering his age, I think everyone knows he was starting this year."

"You really are a Ravenclaw, aren't you?" George muttered.

"Oh, shut up," Raya slapped his shoulder. 

Mrs. Weasley appeared with the rest of her children and their luggage. Pleasantries were exchanged, all the parents rushing around to make last minute goodbyes to their kids.

"Bet the twins will tell their mother about Harry Potter before the train leaves," Raya whispered to Cedric.

"Five sickles," Cedric replied. "You're on."

"Ron, you've got something on your nose," his mother said to him.

The youngest Weasley boy tried to jerk out of the way, but Mrs. Weasley grabbed him and began rubbing the end of his nose. 

"Mom — geroff." He wriggled free. 

"Aaah, has ickle Ronnie got somefink on his nosie?" said Fred. 

"Shut up," said Ron. 

"Where's Percy?" said their mother. 

"He's coming now." 

The now-oldest Weasley boy at Hogwarts came striding into sight. He had already changed into his billowing black Hogwarts robes, and Raya noticed a shiny red and gold badge on his chest with the letter P on it. 

"Can't stay long, Mother," Percy said. "I'm up front, the prefects have got two compartments to themselves—"

 "Oh, are you a prefect, Percy?" said George, with an air of great surprise. "You should have said something, we had no idea." 

"Hang on, I think I remember him saying something about it," said Fred. 

"Once—" 

"Or twice—" 

"A minute—"

"All summer—" 

"Oh, shut up," said Percy the Prefect.