xvii. raya, the invisible savior

𝐋𝐎𝐂𝐊𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐇𝐀𝐃 𝐆𝐎𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐍 𝐌𝐔𝐂𝐇 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐄 𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐎𝐘𝐈𝐍𝐆. There had been a double attack right before the Hufflepuff and Gryffindor game — which lead to the Quidditch season being suspended. Raya was already in a horrible mood at that news, but the announcement that teachers were to accompany students to all their classes did it for her.

The Ministry of Magic had taken Hagrid in, accusing him of being the cause of the petrified kids (and ghost). While most kids at Hogwarts weren't sure about this accusation, Lockhart seemed to think it was the only possible answer.

"Why is everyone so upset today?" he entered the class. "Ah, I know it's upsetting about the clubs and all — but hey! The culprit's been captured, so it's only a matter of time before everything runs back up again."

"Professor McGonagall seemed certain Quidditch was done for the season," Raya told him, glaring. "What makes you sure everything is over? What if it's not Hagrid?"

"Now, now, Miss Newbrooke," Lockhart waved his finger in the air like she was a child, "We mustn't doubt the Ministry. They've kept us safe all these years, and I'm certain they'll keep us safe in the future."

"I think they acted without thought," Thomas added. "I mean, Hagrid's been here for so many years. If he really wanted to go around petrifying students, why would he wait until now? It makes no sense."

Kids around the class began to nod in agreement, questioning the logic in the Ministry's actions.

"Settle down," Lockhart tried. "I'm sure the Ministry had reason to do what they did."

"Removing Dumbledore?" A Gryffindor kid asked. "I'm not a Ravenclaw, but even I know that's not smart."

"The Ministry was being pressured to act," Raya shrugged. "They just decided to take Hagrid because he was an easy choice."

"I heard that Malfoy kid was the one who got Dumbledore out," another Gryffindor said.

"It was his dad, dumbass," Cierra told him. "Draco can't get Dumbledore out on his own. Apparently, his dad tricked and bribed and blackmailed his way into getting Dumbledore out of here."

Kids began to speak up, voicing their agreement and thoughts.

Lockhart tried to get everyone to calm down, but to no avail.

"ENOUGH!" he finally yelled, causing the class to silence. His voice took on a forced calm tone, "There will be no more discussing politics in this class. We're here to study Defense Against the Dark Arts, and that is what we will do." He straightened his robes, pulling out one of his books, "Now, let's take out Break with a Banshee. Who would like to play the role of the Bandon Banshee, who I managed to defeat with nothing but my wand?"

Thomas' hand shot in the air, a look of smug determination on his face.

Lockhart looked around the class expectantly, hoping someone else would volunteer. Thomas had a habit of going out of character. 

No one else was interested.

"Mister Pegas," Lockhart sounded wary. "Come on up. Remember to read your lines, and act out exactly what I tell you to."

"Not a problem, Professor," Thomas smirked.

Summer came to Hogwarts slowly.

It was most visible in the Ravenclaw common room, where the windows gave beautiful views of the mountains and lake. The teachers were like pests, always escorting them from one class to the next.