xxii. giant dogs

"𝐖𝐇𝐘 𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄?" Elias blurted at the sight of Professor Snape in their Defense Against Dark Arts class. 

Raya and her friends had just gotten out of double potions, excited to see what new creature or curse Professor Lupin was going to teach them today. Of course, seeing Snape was not what they expected.

Snape raised an eyebrow, "Excuse me?"

Elias gulped, "I mean... why are you here? Where's Professor Lupin? This is the Defense class, right?"

"Rest assured, you are in the right class, Mister Kane," he said drily. "As for Professor Lupin... he is ill today. I'm covering for him. Take a seat."

They made their way to their seats, a little wary at the sudden teacher change.

Snape's eyes narrowed at Raya as she sat in her usual spot at the front. She ducked down to avoid his gaze. 

While she may be his star pupil in Potions, there was no hope for her Defense Against the Dark Arts. Not with Thomas taking the class as well.

"So unorganized," he muttered, leafing through the papers on Professor Lupin's desk. "He's too soft on you all. None of you deserve the marks you have."

"What are we learning today, Professor?" Thomas asked, distracting Snape from his slander of Professor Lupin.

"Hm," Snape put their assignments to a side. "I was thinking of going over some review topics, considering you lot haven't learned much with that horrible excuse of a Professor last year."

"You mean Mr. Lockhart?" Nathaniel asked.

Snape scowled. He opened the third years textbook, opening it to the last chapter. "Werewolves. Let's begin with werewolves."

Raya dropped her head against the desk.

"Miss Newbrooke?" Snape called her out. "Is there something you need to share with us?"

Raya shrugged, "Can we not, like, do werewolves right now? Or banshees? Or vampires? Or ghouls? Or anything that was features in Lockhart's books?"

"And why is that?" he asked, not at all pleased.

"Dude, I memorized three of his books," she told him. "Most of us have seen them reenacted enough times. I think we can review other things."

"You memorized three of his books?" Snape blinked.

"Not my proudest accomplishment," she shrugged. "But it was for questioning purposes."

"You've memorized Wanderings with Werewolves?" he asked.

"Yeah," Raya was wary now.

"Tell me, how much did you learn about werewolves from that book?" he asked. "Besides how to use a fake Charm on them?"

"Not much from the book itself, but the research to take down what he presented in the books taught me more than I ever need to know," Raya told him.

"How does a human become a werewolf?"

"When a werewolf's saliva mixes with a human's blood, they turn," she answered confidently.

"What's the difference between a werewolf and a regular wolf?"

"Shorter snout, human-like eyes, and a higher desire to kill," Raya said.

"How do you kill one?"

"What?"

"How do you kill one?" Snape asked, enunciating each word.

"Why would I want to know how to kill one?" she asked. "Werewolves are dangerous, sure. But they turn back into humans. They can be turned back using the Homorphus Charm. Worst case scenario, you turn it back to a human. Or blast them backwards."