v. quidditch

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐀𝐃𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐆𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒.

She was wearing her fingerless dragon hide gloves that she'd bought last year, along with arm and shin guards. Her blue and black tryout jersey held the number nineteen, the cape billowing behind her. Besides her Nimbus 2001, most of her uniform was worn. She liked the flex of her old gear, not liking how stiff new gear always was. But still, she would need new gear soon. Raya made a mental reminder to buy something soon.

"Alright, this is how it works!" Austen Bellweather shouted out to the crowd of Ravenclaws that had gathered. A seventh-year Ravenclaw, and the Quidditch captain, most kids were in awe of him — Raya included. "You guys are gonna start with some drills. Everyone, except Seekers need to be in the air. Let's go!"

About twenty kids scrambled to get on their brooms and in the air as fast as possible. In the end, Raya and another two kids — Cho from second year, and Marcel from fifth year — were the only ones left.

Austen turned to them, "Seekers can stay on the ground, or fly near the outskirts. Keep an eye on players during their drills. I'm gonna be asking for reports. A good Seeker not only catches the snitch, but learns the weak links of the other team. Understood?"

"Understood," the chorused, allowing Austen to fly up to the rest of the team.

Raya watched from the ground for a bit, admiring how Austen naturally oozed confidence. He gave instruction to the team to perform a few drills and they began. Chasers shooting it at the keeper. Beaters aimed their bludgers at targets. It was a beautiful thing to see really. 

Raya mounted her broom, setting off to watch from the sky. She shot overhead them, examining players from above. As a Seeker this is where she was used to seeing the players. From here, she could pick out everyone's pros and cons.

Avery the Keeper favored her right, but Avery the chaser favored his left. This led to a series of wonderful shots that rarely went in. Jordan and Hernando, beaters, were pretty good with their aim. In their final year at Hogwarts, Raya couldn't see any reason for them not to be on the team. Roger, who was on the team last year, was in amazing form again this year.  Chris, a third year, was also a pretty good chaser. Raya watched him and Roger pass the ball to each other before shooting it at the net and through Seliana's hands.

When Austen called the Seekers down, she shared all this with him.

He nodded, "And how would you work on that?"

Raya blinked. "Well, I'd tell Avery — the chaser — to only shoot to his right for a little bit. Until he's as comfortable using it as he is his left. And of course Avery — the keeper — would be guarding the goal, forced to use her left side. Once they've got some practice, they could work on alternating drills. Maybe even try above or below. Jordan and Hernando might need some target practice, but they're good with power. Roger, well, he can help teach Avery. It would do him good to learn how to moderate things. He'd make a good captain. Chris and him work well together. If one of them doesn't make the team, I think they'd still make a good unofficial coach, y'know?"

Austen nodded, but Raya couldn't tell if he was pleased, amused, or annoyed. Before she could ask, he called the rest of the team down.

"I'm splitting you into two teams," he announced as soon as everyone reached the ground. "There will be rotations, and the winning team will not have higher privilege. This is about you as an individual, and what you bring to the team, your strengths. I will referee, so no fouls. Play a clean game." He made teams, setting everyone up. Cho and Marcel were the first going to be Seekers first.

"Raya, with me," Austen motioned.

She picked up her broom, and followed. 

"The game's gonna start. Since you're not seeking, I want your help refereeing. Watch for dirty plays, and look for weaknesses and strengths in each player. Got it?"