xxx. capture the flag

𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅. She didn't have a chance to say goodbye to either Sirius or Remus, but managed to keep in contact with them through letters.

Sirius was currently in some exotic place, lounging with Buckbeak. He told her all about the coconut drinks and the spiky fruit which tasted amazing. 

Raya absentmindedly let go of the Snitch every few minutes, racing back and forth to catch it. She was on her Firebolt, behind the Apollo Cabin, practicing for Quidditch. She hadn't been able to play much this year, and she was scared she might've gone rusty.

"Why do I get the feeling you're ignoring me?"

Raya pocketed the letter at the sound of Luke's voice, continuing her practice with the Snitch.

"I'm not," she answered. "I'm just training."

She was ignoring him. 

On her way to Camp, Raya had this mental idea that she would be upset and annoyed with Luke for not even mentioning her Christmas present. They sent sparse letters over the second term, and Raya hoped it would make it easier to be mad at him.

But the second Luke arrived, pulling her into a hug, she melted.

When he was near, her brain seemed to go fuzzy. She couldn't be mad at him, or annoyed. She was just so... happy, to be with him, near him. 

It was ruining her plan.

She needed to focus. So she began to ignore Luke, the annoyance she felt towards him making itself aware whenever he wasn't near. 

"You're not even looking at me right now," he said, still standing on the ground below her.

Raya put on a burst of speed, catching the Snitch. She looked down at him, the afternoon sun making his blond hair glow. 

"I'm looking at you," she said. "But I've got to practice."

"Raya, you've been practicing all year," he said. "Can we talk... about whatever it is that's bothering you?"

Raya dismounted her broom, packing it up in it's case. "Nothing's bothering me, Luke. I'm fine."

"Fine is what you say when you're not really," Luke noted. "I — what's wrong?"

"I need to practice," she repeated. "I only got to play one game, and it was against the easiest team. I need all the practice I can get to come back strong this year."

"Wait, why'd you only play one game?" Luke asked. "Shouldn't you have played three?"

"Well, I was playing shit for one, so Roger benched me," Raya shrugged. "I was missing my wrist bones while the other was going on. Pomfrey was adamant on not letting me play that game."

"You were missing your wrist bone?" he exclaimed. "How? When? Why didn't you tell me?"

Raya stared at him, buckling up the Firebolt, "I didn't tell you? I swore I wrote to you about it. Or I thought I did. I forgot, it's not a big deal anyways. We've all been through worse."

Luke grabbed Raya's arm as she moved past him.

"Hey, the town's open today," he said softly, his fingers moving down her arm, lacing them between her own. "I was hoping we could go out, get some ice cream. They stocked up on that butterscotch that you love."

Raya's brain turned to mush.

She said yes, like she always did.