xlv. jumbotrons

𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐓 𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐀 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍. It was one of the reasons she dreaded Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Before the bell rang, while everyone was settling in, his mechanical eye would focus on Raya, almost as if he was searching for something. Maybe he suspected her true heritage, and was hoping she would slip up.

If anything, him watching her only made her more wary.

"You've got O.W.L.s at the end of the year, and not one of you — except Miss Newbrooke here — can throw off the Imperius curse," he growled. "That's not good. But, we've got to move along with this now. Can't keep teaching you what you all refuse to learn."

The class let out a soft sigh of relief.

Over the past months, he'd tried out the Imperius Curse on everyone. Raya had sent out little tendrils of her Magic to try and stop it, but Moody had always been ready. In fact, he only seemed to grow stronger every time she tried it.

"Let's get started with Voldemort's reign," he looked around the class.

Almost everyone flinched at the Dark Lord's name. It sounded even more sinister hearing Moody say it.

"Who was Voldemort's greatest enemy?" he asked.

Thomas raised his hand after a second of hesitation.

"Pegas!" Moody called on him.

"Well, most people say it's Harry Potter," Thomas answered. "He was the one who survived the Killing Curse, it backfired and killed Voldemort himself."

"Keep going," Moody barked. "There's a 'but' coming up. I can feel it."

Elias snickered, covering it up with a cough.

"But I think he doesn't really have a greatest enemy," Thomas answered. "He's got allies, followers — some who still believe in him. And he's got people who oppose him. Harry's not his greatest enemy because the two never actually fought. You-Know-Who just slapped a Killing Curse on a baby, and it happened to misfire. That's not called being mortal enemies. If he was alive now... that'd be a different story."

Raya shivered, rubbing her hands at the sudden coldness in the classroom. She was pretty sure she was imagining it, but she didn't like the feeling.

"Very good," Moody muttered, more so to himself. "You've got an interesting perspective. Newbrooke!"

Raya snapped her head towards Moody.

"Name any supporters of Voldemort."

She blinked, "Uh... the Malfoys, the Rosier family, the—"

"Did I say families or names?" he barked. "I want names. Those who might be in Azkaban, those who might be free, and definitely those who're dead."

"Lucius Malfoy, Bellatrix Lestrange, um... Evan Rosier, Bartemius Crouch — Junior — Mulciber, Wilkes, Regulus Black—"

"—And where are they all now?" he asked.

"Quite a few are dead," Raya answered. "Some are alive, in Azkaban. And some have gotten free under the claim that they were being Imperiused."

"What are your thoughts on this?"

"Excuse me?"

"Thoughts, Newbrooke!" he snapped. "Why are so many dead, or in Azkaban? Why are so few free compared to what they had before?"

Raya hesitated, "Partially because of you."

"Me?!" he sounded outraged.

"I mean, you did put a shit ton of them in Azkaban," she raised her hands, sitting back in her chair. "And killed quite a few. Rosier managed to be the only one who caught a piece of you, if I remember correctly."