xxxvii. snape's dungbombs

"𝐈𝐅 𝐈 𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐕𝐈𝐆𝐈𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐂𝐄 𝐀𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍, 𝐈'𝐌 𝐆𝐎𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆," Elias scowled as they left their Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Honestly, Raya didn't blame him.

"Let's all take a moment to thank Thomas, who seems to be the only one Moody partially likes," Raya said, patting Thomas on the back.

The rest of their friends did the same, thanking him.

Moody had entered the lesson with an announcement that he was going to be doing the Imperius curse on all of them. Thomas, thinking quickly, managed to stall for long enough — asking questions about the Imperius curse, and how often Moody's had to use it — that the period ended without Moody controlling any of them.

"You guys better thank me," Thomas muttered. "I'm the only one with brains around here. The rest of you guys froze up just at the mention of the curses."

"I was fully prepared for him to use them on us," Cho muttered. "Did not want him to, but I really thought it was happening."

"Me too!" Nathaniel agreed. 

"Why would you guys even think that?" Meredith asked as they all made their way down to Potions.

"Well... Snape did poison me that one time to make sure my antidote worked," Nathaniel told her. "It wasn't a fun experience."

"It's a good thing you used my antidote," Raya laughed.

Nathaniel chuckled, agreeing with her.

Raya took her spot in Potions, fist bumping Cedric, who was already there.

Snape got up to start the lesson, his eyes not meeting Raya's. Ever since the end of last year, she'd made it her mission to make Snape annoyed, any way she could. He'd let a childhood grudge send an innocent man to a fate worse than death. 

She began by barely answering whenever her name was called, but had to drop that as it affected Cedric's mark, who was with her in Potions. After that, she decided to be the best student during class, but outside of class, she sent him weekly shipments of dungbombs, glitter cannons, and even vulture hats. 

Raya didn't get anyone else involved, mainly because she felt like this one was personal.

"Let's start with the Everlasting Elixir," Snape said. "This is something all fifth years taking their O.W.L.s must know. You will definitely be tested on the basis of these elixirs. Someone tell me about them."

Raya's hand was in the air before he finished speaking.

"Miss Newbrooke."

"Everlasting Elixirs — as the name suggest — never run out," Raya said. "They also allow permanent magical effects to be placed. If brewed correctly, it should be a bright blue color."

"Five points to Ravenclaw," Snape nodded. "Miss Newbrooke has given an excellent description of the Everlasting Elixir. You must all do correct research on it, two parchments, handed in no later than this Friday. We'll be doing Erumpment Potions next, so make you catch up on all missed work before that."

The entire class opened their books to the page, starting their research immediately. Many of the Hufflepuffs had fallen behind in Potions, and they were whispering to each other about the stress of fifth year.

"You're probably so happy you have me as a best friend," Raya muttered to Cedric, taking notes to draft her essay.

"Why?" he asked.