xxxv. house elf rights

"𝐈'𝐌 𝐆𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐀 𝐀𝐒𝐊 𝐌𝐘 𝐃𝐀𝐃 𝐈𝐅 𝐈 𝐂𝐀𝐍 𝐃𝐎 𝐈𝐓," Cedric walked over to Raya at the end of breakfast. "You try too, okay?"

Raya didn't need to ask what he was talking about.

The next morning, the only thing anyone could talk about was the Triwizard Tournament, and how they'd be the one to make Hogwarts proud. Raya, however, was beyond annoyed.

"Not a chance," she shook her head adamantly.

"Oh come on," Cedric pleaded. "You're like the best Witch ever, and... you know? You've got a pretty cool advantage."

Raya rolled her eyes at Cedric's horrible attempt at subtlety. She was a demigod. He could at least try to be a little less conspicuous.

"I'm protesting," she said.

"What?"

"I'm protesting," Raya repeated. "I want to play Quidditch. Besides, there's only gonna be one kid selected. What if they don't even play Quidditch? The rest of us might want to."

"The teachers are gonna be too busy."

"Then a non-competitive league," Raya shrugged. "Intramurals, drop-in, I don't really care too much for the finer details. I just want to play."

Cedric looked like he was going to argue, but Raya continued, "Dude. I was out for the two games last year. I only played one game, at the start of the season. This year I was supposed to be Captain and bring the Quidditch Cup back to Ravenclaw. I need to play."

I need something bigger than school to distract me from Luke, she thought.

Cedric sighed, but nodded anyways, "Well, I'll definitely help you. And If I'm not picked, I'll even play. Tell you what, because you're my best friend, I'll play even if I do get picked."

Raya laughed as Cedric threw his arm over her shoulder. "You're the best! I'm gonna go talk to Madam Hooch next week, probably bully her a bit."

"When are you going?" Cedric asked, looking at his timetable. "I'll come if I'm free. I won't partake in any bullying, though."

"Probably Tuesday, in the afternoon," she answered. "Around four o'clock."

"Eh, I can skip Divination," Cedric shrugged. "We'll go together. Oh, we've got Charms together right before that. That's perfect!"

Raya put their schedules side by side, examining the classes they had together. "We got Potions, Charms, Herbology, History of Magic, and Care of Magical Creatures together! That's better than last year, huh?"

"Much," he agreed. "I just wish there wasn't a double Herbology lesson on the first day."

Raya laughed as they continued to the greenhouse, "Extra time to sleep, Ced. It's practically extra time to sleep."

They sat in their usual seats near the middle of the class, waiting for Professor Sprout to appear. Herbology was an easy subject, one Cierra excelled in. Even though Raya was half-asleep — sometimes actually asleep — she managed to get excellent marks. It might have to do with her dad, Apollo, and how connected he was to nature, but she wasn't too sure.

The second Professor Sprout entered, a determined look on her face, Raya began to doubt whether she'd be able to sleep this year.

"Settle down, now," she said to the class. Everyone quieted at her voice. "As you all know, you're in your fifth-year now, and you'll be doing your O.W.L.s at the end of it. Your O.W.L.s are extremely important, perhaps even more than your N.E.W.T. Your marks at the end of the year are what will determine whether or not you'll be able to study on in a certain course. I expect nothing less than an Exceeds Expectations from all of you."