xxxvi. constant vigilance

"𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍 '𝐍𝐎'?"

Raya stared at Madam Hooch, physically unable to comprehend what was happening.

"I mean no, Miss Newbrooke," she repeated, her gold eyes shining with pity. "With all the preparations going on around the Triwizard Tournament, we just don't have enough time to do all of this."

Raya and Cedric had approached Madam Hooch with the idea of starting up a smaller Quidditch League in the school. It would be a bi-weekly drop-in, with a sign up sheet, and four teams maximum. They had it all planned out, and were already creating custom sign-up sheets for everyone.

Raya had never considered Madam Hooch might say no.

"But I'll do it," Raya pleaded. "I'll create the sign up sheets, and the teams, and everything. We just need you to referee the games. If we don't have enough players, we'll cancel the matches."

"Raya—"

"Madam Hooch, please," Cedric added. "Some of us are looking to go into professional Quidditch. Do you know how many seventh years there are that won't get a chance to play because of the tournament? The teams might not sign them if they can't see them play this year. We don't even have to do it often, we just want it as an option."

"I think everyone deserves this opportunity," Raya tried again, hoping she looked desperate enough. "I will take responsibility for planning it all out. If it's not planned out, it won't happen. Just, please, Madam Hooch. Some of us are relying on Quidditch."

Raya watched as Madam Hooch tried to fight their arguments. The pleading looks on their faces seemed to have worked, because she sighed.

"Alright, but only if you do everything you promised," she told them. "You guys can organize the teams and dates, and let me know a week in advance. Understand?"

"Yes—"

"—Of course—"

"—Thank you—"

"—We won't let you down—"

"—You're the best!"

The two of them began thanking her profusely, causing her to grin as she sent them off.

Raya and Cedric went over to the library, immensely happy about the outcome of their trip. They continued working on the custom sign up sheets, adding stickers and icons to separate each house's sign up sheet.

"I was talking to my dad about the Triwizard tournament, and he said might as well try it," Cedric was saying. "I'm probably going to put my name in."

"Well, I hope you have fun. I'd do it, but my life is dangerous enough without competing in a competition that's got a high death toll," Raya shrugged to herself. "Also, I'd rather play Quidditch."

Cedric laughed, "That's fair."

"Have you tried convincing the Weasleys to just talk to their mom?" Raya asked him. "They seem convinced that they can sneak under Dumbledore's nose. While I love the two idiots, I don't believe in them that much."

Fred and George were still sixteen, and would be on Halloween. They were a few months older than Raya and Cedric, meaning they would only be able to put their name in for the Triwizard's Tournament if they had full parental permission. However, they thought that was completely unfair and were going to try putting their name in anyways. If they'd just ask Mrs. Weasley...

"I've tried so many times," Cedric told her. "Just this morning, I tried again. They just popped a sugar quill in my hand, and said they've got it all covered. Where'd they get the sugar quill from? We haven't even been to Hogsmeade yet?"