Chapter 66

Lena pov

Today is the day Scarlett is going back home. We're having breakfast before her flight.

"I'm gonna miss this place." she says munching on her french toast.

"You can always come and visit."

"You don't plan on going back to New York any time soon?" She asks surprised.

"I don't know scar.." I say looking away.

"What do you have left to do. Don't say the company, because I know for a fact that the crisis is over. You got it all handled." She says reaching out a hand for me to take.

"I..do have it handled, but."

"There is always a 'but' with you." She says amused but it sure doesn't look like it.

"I have new employees to interview and I have tons of paperwork to fill out." I say.

"So what? You'll see me christmas?" She asks taken aback.

"We can always text. And besides, we'll see each other way before christmas." I say, trying to soothe her.

"You'll fly in for my birthday and then crawl back into your batcave?" She asks

"I never liked Batman, maybe I can be Catwoman. I always thought Hallie Berry was hot in the costume and all." I say teasing her.

"You're such a child sometimes." She says drinking her tea.

"I can't Scarlett. I just.. I don't know how to live there anymore."

"But you'll see me more often."

"That does sound appealing but I have to put my company first and my emotions second. That's how that place is still in business. It would be a crisis if we closed. We have hundreds of thousands employees. Thats too many households to count."

"Alright, I get it. You can't risk anything happening with the company."

"No I cannot."

"I may have only a few hundreds of employees but I know where you're coming from. I know the risk and yet here I am, with you!" she says.

"I never asked you to clear your schedule, you did that all by yourself." I say

"I did it for you, you idiot! I wanted to spend time with you and to make sure you don't hurt yourself in the process!"

"I don't...I don't know what to say."

"I know how hard this anniversary is for you. I felt bad leaving you here all by yourself so I called my assistant and got her to cancel everything." She says grabbing my hand.

"You felt bad?" I repeat taking my hand our of her grasp

"I don't need your pity Scarlett. I am doing fine with the amount that I already received." I say standing up.

"No. I worded it wrong. It's not that I felt bad. I care for you."

"You see 'I felt bad' and 'I care for you' have two completely different meanings to me." I say and put my dirty dishes into the sink.

"Lena, can you just accept that someone wants you for who you are?" She asks.

"Who am I Scarlett? Please tell me who the fuck am I?! Because all I see when I look into the god damn mirror is William Adams. The man that ruined me!"

"You're the kindest person I've ever met. I swear to God I've never met anyone like you." She says coming closer to me.

"You.. you just want everyone to feel safe in your presence and you never shy away from your duties. You're also very noble and I find you very very attractive." She says taking my head into her hands.