Outreach day (pt. 2)

Enid's pov:

After entering the store me and Ajax inspect a shelf of taxidermy roadkill.
-"a-are these real?"
I ask disgusted.
-"y-yeah I think so..look at the tire marks on its tail"
He says pointing down at it.
-"all picked up by locals!"
The store manager says.
-"ew you mean people actually go out and collect these??"
I ask.
-"mhm! Can't keep 'em on the shelves. Geese, squirrels, skunks snakes, and my personal fav? Families of ferrets at a clam bake"
She says lovingly gesturing to a top shelf.
-"um. Ok well me and Ajax are gonna go on an extended coffee break, right Ajax?"
I ask looking up at him.
-"um yeah! We're just gonna head to the weathervane, want us to pick you up anything..?"
He asks. The lady stared at us for a moment.
-"no need. I'm brewing chaga"
Me and Ajax look at each other in shared confusion.
-"mushroom tea!"
She says as though we should've known.
-"it's my own blend, pick the little suckers myself. Well..better get teasing. Your in for a treat"
She says handing us combs. Hopefully it's going better for Wednesday cuz I'm totally creeped out right now.

Wednesday's pov:

-"Genießen Sie Ihren authentischen Pilger-Fudge aus Kakaobohnen, alle Erlöse werden verwendet, um diese erbärmliche Schönfärberei der amerikanischen Geschichte aufrechtzuerhalten. außerdem wurde Fudge erst in zweihundertachtundfünfzig Jahren erfunden. irgendwelche Abnehmer?"
I say to the German tourists, fully knowing none of the other workers hear know German. The tourists leave in disgust. Just than our tour guide walks in, she makes eye contact with me as the tourists flood out and I smile. I set my tray of samples down and walk to see if I can escape to the meeting house. Just then I see some boys picking on Eugene.

I don't know why but I've become quite fond of him.
-"howdy pilgrims"
I say eyeing them as they throw Eugene into the stocks. Before they can close it I march over.
-"let him go."
I command looking up at them. The boy pushes me forward but I kick his shins and swing him to the floor another lunges at me but I grab his arm and lock him in the stocks they had just tried to put Eugene in.
-"your still here?"
I ask Looking at the other two boys. They walk off. I notice Eugene has throw up on him, that explains why his sample tray was empty. He gives me an awkward smile.
-"come with me, let's get you cleaned up"
I say walking away, and he quickly follows.

-"thanks for helping me"
Eugene says as I clean him up with a dampened towel.
-"it's hive code"
I say. He smiles.
-"I don't have many friends"
He says, still with a smile.
-"hey thanks for cleaning me up too"
-"no problem, your coming with me"
I say, quickly standing up. We walk behind the meeting house.
-"give me your retainer"
I command, sticking my hand out.
-"what? But your teeth are fine"
He says handing it to me anyways.
-"not as straight or white as Enid's but their good"
He says as I pick the lock.
-"stop talking. Keep watch"
I say, shoving it back to him.
I wander around the room before finally seeing a book that matches the one from my vision.
-"Thing this is it"
He quickly helps me open the case. I flip through the pages briefly and realize it's a fake. Just then the tour guide enters the meeting house holding Eugene by his collar.
-"mistress Arline, how now"
She rolls her eyes.
-"how now indeed!"
She says angrily.
-"I-I told her how you were just dying to learn more about Crackstone and how the door was unlocked"
Eugene says.
-"yes. And this case was already open"
I say.
-"where's the original meeting house?"
I ask. She rolls her eyes and takes a deep sigh.
-"how the hell should I know? I just moved here barely in April"
She says, dropping her pilgrim accent.
-"nevermind that, I'm reassigning you both! To fudge churning duty"
She says with an accomplished smirk. I roll my eyes and follow her and Eugene out.

Enid's pov:

As I'm dusting I notice a guy snooping around the vintage cameras.
-"can I help you?"
I ask cheerfully. He turns to me frightened and agitated then ignores me.
-"okay then.."
I say walking back to Ajax as studies one of the taxidermy status curiously.
-"now THAT gives me the heebee jeebies"
I say pointing at the statue.
-"I dunno.. think it could ever work between a squirrel and a rat? I mean their two totally different species"
He asks looking down at the statue with the two rodents dressed in bridal wear.
-"no! They actually have a lot more in common than you think I mean most people are scared of them so it would just be us- I mean.. them against the world"
I blurt out. I feel myself blush slightly from embarrassment. I probably sound so stupid right now. Ajax smirks.
-"wow that was a..that was deep"
He says looking at me with a smile.
-"oh! By the way, I totally digged the way you clawed out the bottom of our boat during the Poe cup"
-"you weren't upset?"
-"nah I was just doing Xavier a favor, he's my boy but he's like super competitive"
-"he seems so laid back"
-"bros got a darker side most people don't see"
He says, still smiling at me warmly.
-"you realize this is like the longest conversation we've EVER had right?"
I say failing to hide my excitement.
-"gorgons are taught not to engage..I don't wanna like accidentally stone someone you know?"
He say's awkwardly with a slight smile.
-"I'm not scared of being turned to stone by you, I mean it's only temporary"
I say rubbing his arm.
-"really?"
He asks with a smile.
-"one hundo!"
God I probably sound stupid.
-"so uh anyways! I was thinking of sneaking behind the greenhouse later tonight. There's supposed to be some blue moon thing that only comes every like 27 years or something crazy like that"
I say leaning towards him more, hoping he'll take the hint.
-"cool, have fun"
He says cluelessly.
-"oh but be careful, you know a lot of kids sneak back there to hook up just saying it could get kinda aw-"
-"Ajax!"
I yell, interrupting him.
-"I have spent all morning flirting and hinting and tryna act cute while brushing some roadkill all so you would ask me on a freaking date!"
His eyes widen in shock.
-"oh! Oh that's what you were doing!"
He says with a slight laugh.
-"I-I kinda wondered when you spent so long brushing that opossums tail"
We both share a slight laugh.
-"ok. So you wanna meet behind the greenhouse, tonight?"
He asks with a smile.
-"yes! I'd love to.."
I say bashfully.
-"ok cool"
He says with his cute dorky smile. Just then the manager calls him to help her lift a heavy box. I wait till he walks far enough away.
-"yes! I can't believe he asked!"
I exclaim to myself excitedly, trying to keep my voice down.