Birthday

You hit the snooze button on your alarm with a little more force than you had intended and it crashed to the floor. You swore, sighed, and looked at the ceiling as though it might be to blame. Then you left the clock on the floor for five more minutes' sleep.

That five minutes felt like it lasted forever and you woke, naturally, as if from the deepest sleep. You rolled over and fumbled on the floor for the clock, but your hand couldn't find it. Sitting up, you noticed firstly, that it was back on the table, and secondly, that the reason those five minutes had felt so long is because they were actually 120 minutes. You were going to be so, so late for work.

You swore under your breath and ripped the covers back, crossing the room in two strides, tearing open the bedroom door and almost running straight into Mashiho. His quick reflexes were the only thing that saved the tray of breakfast he was carrying in for you; he lifted it above your head and span so you merely collided with the side of his body.

"Where's the fire?"

"I'm going to be late! I have to be at work in half an hour! I'm not even dressed!"

He chuckled and nudged you with the edge of the tray until you were walking backwards into the bedroom, until you were falling back down on the bed.

"Mashiho, seriously. I have to go to work."

"No, you don't."

"What do you mean 'no, I don't'? It's a Wednesday. I work Monday to Friday. Ergo, work."

"I got the day off for you."

That stopped you short. You looked up at him.

"What?"

"I booked leave for you today. You have the day off. No work. Why do you think I turned the alarm off so you could sleep in?"

"You... How-...?"

Mashiho motioned for you to move over so he could perch on the edge of the bed in front of you and he lay the tray in your lap.

"I called Haneul at your office and asked her if I could book the day off for you as a surprise for your birthday. And she said," he brought his hands to his chin and tilted his head, continuing in a high-pitched approximation of Haneul's voice, "'oh my god, that's so cute! You're so sweet! I wish I had someone to do that for me! Of course, I can do that! Oh my gooooood'."

It was not a good impression and you laughed so hard, you almost spilt the coffee.

"And I asked her to make sure you didn't find out and she said I was 'probably the best boyfriend ever!' and now here we are."

"So, you got me the day off?"

"Yes."

"And you made me pancakes?"

"Yes."

You tried to stop your smile spreading across your whole face and failed.

"Maybe you really are the best boyfriend."

He leaned over to kiss you.

"Yeah, I mean I've been trying to tell you this for a long time. Glad you're finally seeing sense."

You swatted at him and then pulled him around to sit next to you while you ate your lovingly-prepared breakfast.

He curled into your side and kissed your shoulder, stroking your waist as you ate.

"Do they taste good?"

"Mm, so good; they always are."

You turned your head to look at him properly.