Chapter 23

"Get your pretty ass downstairs ASAP, darling." Louis told me just before I hung up. It was New Year's Eve and my best friend invited me over to celebrate with his family. I jumped on the occasion to go out of this house, I wasn't able to stand my Mom anymore. I wanted to throw her over a train more and more with each passing second. So, yeah, not good.

I put my boots on, grabbed my bag and rushed downstairs. Louis was waiting in the kitchen, getting some food from the fridge. Normal. I grabbed his hand and dragged him to the front door, while shooting to my Mom a "Going to Louis' place for a few days, byeee !" Then I shut the door and we rushed to Louis' car. It was cold as fuck outside, and it was snowing. How awesome ? I was running my hands against each other, trying to create some warmth until the car stopped being cold as fuck. Louis backed away, before turning in the streets. Radio on, music at its full blast, we were moving way too fast in those Doncaster's streets. But who cares, we were having fun ! At least, Louis was having fun while I was trying not to die. Louis was good with driving... During summer. When there was no ice on the streets.

Still, we ended up at his house in one piece and his mother rushed to him as soon as we stepped inside. "LOUIS !" She screamed, before grabbing his arm and leading him to the basement. "Where have you been ?" I followed them in the stairs, trying not to smile because his Mom wasn't credible at all in the role of the angry mother. "I need you to watch the kids !" And, with that, she left us downstairs and went back up. In front of us stood all of Louis' younger cousins, plus his sisters. And there were a whole bunch of them.

"Oh. Fucking. Hell." Louis whispered. "Can someone kill me now ?"

I patted his back, trying not to laugh. That would surely be funny.

...

"Time to eat kids !" Someone shouted from upstairs and all of the kids abandoned their positions to rush in the stairs. As soon as they all left, Louis let himself fall on the ground, his arms in a cross. I was seated in the corner of the room, smiling. The last hour had been quite funny. All the kids - they were maybe fifteen - were attacking him with everything they could find, going from ball to the couch cushions, passing to toy trucks. Let's just say that Louis was about to murder someone. I almost felt pity for him. Almost.

"There's no way I'll have kids later. No fucking way. And it's not only because I hate them. Have you seen the number of times those bastards hit me in the balls ? Oh my God, I thought I was about to die." I couldn't help but laugh at his words. He really seemed exhausted, though.

I got up, walked up to him and handed him my hand. "Come one. Your friends are going to miss you during dinner."

He grabbed my hands and went back to his feet, before whispering : "Fuck, I hate you too." I laughed at his words. I don't know why, but I was feeling good. Especially good, for once.

When we finally got upstairs, everyone was already seated. There was only two chairs left, luckily side to side. There was a whole lot of people in the Tomlinson's house tonight. Family, friends, lonely neighbours... And everyone seemed happy. The plates were passing from person to person with a smile, a laugh, a funny comment. I sat next to Louis, receiving a charming smile from his older cousin, who passed me the potatoes at the same time. I didn't answered, and Louis saw it. His smile grew even bigger and I slapped his arm, because I knew what he was thinking.

Dinner went on and on and it was a great moment. I've always liked to be surrounded by the Tomlinson's family. They have that thing that makes you forget about everything. They're always so fucking happy. On my worst days, it may get on my nerves, but not today. Today was a good day.

Everyone had been chatting amongst each others for an hour now, our empty plates were still in front of us. No one wanted to break this to go do the dishes. Everything really seemed perfect, until a loud noise was heard. Coming from the basement. Where the kids were.