Chapter 45

The following few days made me forget about Mark. Zayn did everything to. He never mentioned him and spent most of his days making me feel like the luckiest girl alive. Just yesterday, he took me out to the movies and our night was so perfect. Zayn had a way to hold my hand, to kiss my cheek, to smile that was making me fall even more in love with him with each passing second. 

There was only one black cloud in this paradise : Something Zayn saw while we were getting back home. I don't know what it was, it was hidden in an alley, I couldn't see. But it made him freak out. He started to walk a bit faster and held my hand a bit tighter. And, when we got home, he just kissed my cheek and disappeared upstairs. I waited for him to come back, sitting on the couch, for a long time. But he didn't. So, after midnight, I went in the basement, promising myself to ask him about that in the morning.

And here we are. In the morning. And I was alone in the living room. Zayn was still upstairs. I could hear him move in his bedroom, going to the bathroom, running the shower, but he wasn't coming down. Not before the middle of the afternoon. And, when he did, he looked like hell. It was easy to see that he hadn't slept the night before. 

I got up from the couch I was sitting on and walked up to him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his chest. He held me so tight, like never before. He was afraid of something and that was worrying me. I got on my tiptoe and kissed him gently before getting out of his embrace. I went to the kitchen and warmed up some leftover chicken. I brought one plate to Zayn, kept the second one for myself. We ate in silence, side to side. It's only when we were both done that I finally spoke. 

"You won't tell me what you saw." I learnt it from his silence. If he had wanted to tell, he would have already done it. Even though I wanted to know, I didn't wanted to press him. 

"I need to go to Doniya's flat." He changed the subject, his voice rough from the lack of sleep. 

"When are we leaving ?" To my words, a small smile made its way up to his lips. It warmed my heart to see that. 

"Right now." He whispered, before grabbing my hand. In seconds, we were both on our feet and to see him so rushed made me laugh. But it wasn't from happiness. It was from some sort of stress. 

We were walking so fast in the streets, I had to make Zayn slow down a couple of times because I just couldn't follow. Every time, he excused himself, but few minutes later, he was back at his pace. Something was stressing him out. And I couldn't help him. I was feeling so useless. 

As soon as we got to Doniya's block, I felt Zayn tense. We could hear loud music from the first floor and it didn't took me long before figuring out what was happening. Something I saw many times with Louis by my side. Zayn had less experience with this kind of parties. The ones who last all night and all day and all the second night. Zayn speed up once again and, this time, I ran by his side. The grip on my hand grew tighter as we walked in. 

This party was one of the biggest I saw in an appartement. Loud music, loud people. Drunk people. Stoned people. Zayn kept me close to him, wrapping an arm around my waist after some random guys whistled toward me. I used to like this kind of attention, now it was just disgusting me. 

The kitchen was even more of a mess than the living room. Some girl was drunk sleeping on the floor, almost invisible from the amount of beer cans scattered around the room. And the counter was full of vodka and tequila bottles. And others that the label was long gone but that I recognized as rhum and wine. Zayn was clearly freaking at the sight of all of this. Even more when he spotted his sister at the other side of the room. She had a bottle of vodka in her hand, pouring some in a red cup. She was moving slowly, laughing like a madwoman, she was barely able to stand.