Chapter 27

Zayn was here.

Those three words made their way up to my brain and, without me knowing it, I was on my feet and running to him. I didn't slow down, crashing to his chest with force. But I didn't care. I was just so glad he was here. That I was able to be with him. My arms were around his neck and his captured my waist.

I let his presence sink into me, I finally was breathing deeply.

I'm so fucking in love with this boy and I know that I'm so fucked because every time I have been in "love" it ended up badly. In that moment, I didn't cared at all. He was here, we were together. He may be in a nuts-house, he may still be in love with my cousin, he may never want me back but in that very moment... I was in love with him and that was all that matters.

After a while, I took a step back to be able to look at his face. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and it broke my heart to see him like this. His eyes looked dead, they weren't glowing like they used to when we first met. He had lost weight and his dark tan was paler than ever. But still, he looked so beautiful.

I took his face between my palm, wiping the tears away from his cheek with my thumbs. His eyes were looking straight into mine and I tried to smile. I heard Dr. Jefferson saying something about him leaving for an hour or so before the door closed behind him. We were alone and all I wanted was to lay my head on his chest and hear his heart beat.

"Stop crying Zayn..." I whispered, before making a sound that looked like a laugh. "Or I'll cry too..."

"Alexis Dubois, crying ? Yeah, of course !" He said and cough once to stop the tears. I was so fucking lucky he did, otherwise I might really have cry. I was so close. Being back in here and finally having Zayn back was hard on my broken heart.

He tried to do something like a smile before intertwining our fingers. Then he made his way up to the couch, where I followed him. He sat down and, I don't know why, but sitting next to him wouldn't feel right, I knew it. That's why I took place on his lap. And it didn't seemed to bother him at all, because he wrapped his arms around my waist once again and held me tight.

My eyes couldn't leave his face, I was almost afraid he would disappear. If Louis could hear the beatings of my heart in that moment, or all my thoughts, he would surely scream a huge "I TOLD YOU SO" before laughing. Yeah, he told me so. I'm screwed.

"How..." Zayn started, looking for his words. "What are you doing here ?"

"Let's say that I know Dr. Jefferson very well." I simply answered and he furrowed his eyebrows. Meaning that I needed to explain a bit more. I let out a deep breath and put my head on his shoulder. "I came here, last year. I was just out when I met you." I admitted and those words felt bad rolling on my tongue. I didn't wanted him to know that I was fucked up.

He didn't judge me, he just held me tighter. Which made me laugh, because I was feeling so good to be with him. It was maybe not the best place in the world - hell, it probably was the worst of all - but I felt so good with his arms around my waist and my head on his shoulder. It was like I was deserving this. Like I was deserving to be happy, for a moment.

...

We've been talking for ages, not changing our positions even once. I even made him smile once or twice and this brought warm to my heart. From the window, I followed the sun's race against the horizon, before night fell in.

We've been silent for a few minutes when I got up from his lap. I instantly missed his strong arms holding me. But I quickly grabbed his hands and made him stand on his feet.

"Come on, dance with me !" I said and he looked up to the sky. I smiled widely and started to jump a bit, entraining him with me. After a while, he was slowing bending his knees and, from times to times, his feet were leaving the ground. Once again, I found a smile on his face. I jumped once again, but fell back on his feet and almost tripped on the floor. He caught me at the last moment, my head falling on his chest. I wrapped my arms around his torso, one of his hand was on my back and we slowly danced like this. Well, it wasn't even dancing, it was more like slowly turning while shaking our hips a bit. I could feel his heart beats and I was flag they were still there. That he was still alive.