Chapter 35: Engagement

~•×•~

~•×•~

Pain hits his head hard that it jolts him up to awaken. Jungkook adjusts his vision to realize where he is. A bottle of vodka beside him. It was good he didn't fall asleep in his chambers. It will ve too bad for Ella to find him drunk and eyes bloodshot.

Ella

Jungkook hasn't even sent Ella home since their trip to Welves. He scrumbles up and dusts off his clothes before running to Ella's room. Although Jungkook doesn't know what time it is of the day or whether she's there or not. Before he could even arrive in her door, he hears soft laughter that's coming from the court yard. He peers down to see Ella and some of the nobles having their afternoon tea, basking under the sun's soft rays and gentle breeze.

His eyes wanders and tries so hard to look for you but he couldn't. So he walks down the stairs to get to where the company was. The moment he arrives, all the ladies' attention went to him. They all stood to greet him with a bow.

"Lady Ella, may I have a word?" Jungkook asks.

Ella stands and excuses herself from the others and walks to Jungkook.

"Your highness, what a pleasure to see you after—"

She was cut off when Jungkook spoke.

"I apologize for the lack of time I had for you. I assure you that this won't happen again," Jungkook speaks.

Ella continues to walk as Jungkook follows her to the hallways. She giggles and covers her lips with the back of her gloved hand.

"Please your highness. There is nothing to apologize for. I heard what happened and I am very sorry that the lot of you had to go through that. I was upset at first but lady Y/n explained everything to me," Ella responds.

Jungkook stops on his tracks but recovers.

"Lady Y/n?" He asked.

"Yes, you didn't tell me she was so kind. At first, I was threatened by her. That you might take a liking on her but she clearly isn't a threat to us," she continues.

Right

Fuck

Jungkook curses in his head.

"And what else did you talked about?" Jungkook asked cautiously as to not appear that he is worried about something.

"I told her about our engagement and that we have talked about this with my papá a couple of weeks ago. I even showed ger the necklace you gave me as an engagement," she said referring to the emerald necklace she's wearing.

 I even showed ger the necklace you gave me as an engagement," she said referring to the emerald necklace she's wearing

Jungkook's face warps into an unknown pain. Which Ella immediately notices.

"Is something wrong your highness?" She asks in worry.

Jungkook waved it off.

"Nothing, my head is just pounding from all the drinks I had with the king last night," he lied.

"You need to rest then your highness. I can go home tomorrow or the day after. It doesn't have to be now if that's what you're worried about. My papá will understand," she said grasping Jungkook's arm.

Jungkook nods and squeezes her arm gently to atleast assure her that he's fine. Atleast that, she deserves. His mind wanders to you and your thoughts.

You saw them.

You saw how Jungkook squeezes her arm gently. How he softly smiles at her. As if Ella's words were not enough hearing. You feel your gut twist.

Did Jungkook lied to me? Did he deliberately made me look like an idiot?

He offered marriage to Ella weeks ago. And here I am thinking he actually loved me?

Here I am thinking he gave us up because of loyalty?

As if a switch has been flicked off.

You felt nothing.

~•×•~

Dinner came and Heeseung is busy choosing his outfit for the night. He knew you and Sunoo will be joing for the night and he wants to make sure that he looks impeccable. Once he arrives at the dining hall, Ella, Jungkook, Namjoon, Sunoo, Jake the king and you are already sitting on the table.

"I'm late, I know," Heeseung bows making the king smile.

"Come sit dear brother. The food is served," Taehyung encourages him.

He smiles and pats his brother's shoulder on his way to his chair beside Sunoo and Jake.

Jungkook has never once looked at you since you entered the hall, which you were grateful for. You sat beside Namjoon, which you insisted. As it is the farthest chair from Jungkook but the nearest to the king.

Everyone started eating. Casual talks being thrown here and there when Taehyung strikes his wine glass gently with his fork. The glass chimes in response earning everyone's attention.

Jungkook finally looks at you, but you were looking at the king so you didn't notice.

You looked different. Jungkook can't pinpoint it. Heeseung follows Jungkook's solemn gaze to you and realizes what he's looking at.

You look unwell.

Dull eyes, lips set into a straight line, face pale.

"Everyone," the king called earning the two princes' attention.

"Tonight is indeed a celebration. Not only is prince Jungkook safe but also Lady Y/n. We obtained the vaccines and we are all here safe. As part of the family, I want you to be here as we witness a very special announcement,"

You knew what it was. Yet it seems like you wanted to hear it from Jungkook himself.

Jungkook stood up holding a wine glas sin his hand.

"Me and Ella are engaged. Please, let's give a toast to my lovely fiancé," he said with a gentle smile.

Everyone clapped.

Including you who raised your glass and toasted with everyone.

Taehyung glances at you and grasps your hand.

You look at him and smiled.

As if he understands and knows what you're feeling.

Indeed

The king knows

Everything

•••

Unedited