Chapter 45: Luff Village

~•×•~

~•×•~

It's still early in the morning when Jungkook arrived back at the palace's great stables to give his horse a rest and food. He has been out riding every dawn to relieve himself from all the stress he has been going through when he saw Heeseung together with royal vets who seem to be very busy and serious looking at Heeseung's horses and the palace strongest horses as well. He unmounted his horse and handed it to one of the attendants and walked straight to where the company is.

"General," Heeseung bows and hugs Jungkook. "How was your ride?" He ask his brother.

"It was pleasant brother. What do we have here?" He asks.

"It's for the vaccine trip. I'm accompanying the team," he answers.

Jungkook nods in understanding but realises that the royal carriage is also being prepared. "Are you not riding your horse?" He queried. Heeseung looks to his brother's direction and sees him eyeing the carriage. "Yes I am, that's for the queen. She'll be coming with us,"

"The queen?" Jungkook sounds confused. Of all the people to be with this team, why does it has to be the queen? He is well aware of the situation but still finds it odd that you have to be with them.

"I too question that but as that is what the council has suggested. Even the queen agreed to it so all I can do is follow orders. I was also quick to suggest you as you are more fit to be with the team but then again, the castle needs protection," Heeseung looks up at his horse while running his palm over the soft fur.

"Are they sure about this? It has only been a week since the royal wedding and the banquets are still ongoing in celebration of that," Jungkook once again asked.

"I was also questioning that brother but all I got as an answer was because it was the council's decision and they see it fit for the situation," Heeseung answers. Jungkook lets it go and continues on his duty to his horse.

He is bothered but if it was what you wanted, then so shall it be followed. Besides, it's not as if the king hasn't thought about it, he thinks to himself.

- - -

Another journey again for you to take. Welves was the last far land you have been to so you think a 13 hour carriage ride is still short. And you're going to be with Sunoo and Heeseung so you feel at ease. Together with the team you are with, you hope for the success. Preparations are done and so has the day arrived. Sunoo greets you with grace as you are still his queen after all. He ushered you up the carriage and sits beside you. Heeseung and Jake is leading the team upfront and has his cloak on, the rest are behind your carriage. Normally, this Time of the year, it won't be as cold but because times are changing, it seems like the snow is coming in very soon. The company started their journey and as you go past the capital, you enter the woods. The fog has thickened and so has the temperature dropped.

"Are you alright?" Sunoo asks you.

"I am dear. Are you not cold?" You ask him in return.

"I'm alright. Besides, we have extra blankets here in case we get cold. I'm sure prince Heeseung has prepared for his coat as well," He assured you.

You nod and urged Sunoo to sleep while you're on the road. You did too and was only thinking about the village the entire time. You knew it will even be colder there since it will be near the ocean. The wind there could be quite harsh especially now. You look out the window but could not see anything as the fog has completely concealed everything. You could only hear the horses' hooves hitting the ground and the branches that the wheels are rolling to. You sigh and accept the fact that you won't be able to see anything.

The journey continued and has passed several villages now. You didn't have time to stop by but atleast you were able to see villagers' faces as you pass along. They would go about their typical days going to their farms or taking a stroll down town, or even seeing children offer up flowers to you and you graciously accept it. Overall, you were a let to see how lively and peaceful your kingdom still is. Even after all these sickness, they are still happy and surviving.

You carriage halted abruptly when Heeseung made a signal. It is still as foggy as when you left but this time, Heeseung felt something different. Jake looks around and looks at the prince in confirmation of his gut feeling. The entry to the village where fruit ventures usually are even at foggy night like this, they would still be out and about selling their produce. Yet the side of the road is deserted.

"Should we proceed?" Jake asks the young royal.

Heeseung looks ahead and nods. Surely this night could be different as the sickness is still ongoing. You wondered why the team halted but then continued in. Jake feels like something is off. It feels like they just entered a different village. There were no lights on the houses, no people by the well, no children running around. Yes it's night time but it wasn't like this before. Your company is at the dead centre of the village and you felt your stomach churn.

"Is it usually this quiet here," Sunoo asks you.

You look at him and shakes your head gently. "No, this town is lively. I don't know what is happening," you answer him.

"We need to look around," Jake suggests. The guards lit up torches to aid Jim and Heeseung in the darkness.

You and the rest of the group stayed behind with more palace guards as Heeseung and Jake looks around holding torches of their own. On their horses, they strut around and looked for any sign of life. Finally, when Jake reached the school they have built months ago, he saw lights flickering inside. He uncounted from his horse and signals Heeseung to step down with him. They walk near the doors of the school and knocks. Nobody answers the door, then another knock, still nobody comes to the door.

"Just open it," Heeseung instructs.

Jake opens the door and the sight before him almost made him pass out. Heeseung's eyes widens and holds his breath.

Dead people

Not from the Rosa but a massacre.

•••

Unedited