Chapter 57

Chapter III

Annabeth

"Annabeth?"

The voice was timid, scared and I looked up at him from the map that I was (attempting) to read. I would never understand how Percy could read the things; they kept changing every five seconds! Chocolate brown eyes met mine and I smiled reassuringly at him. "What is it?"

"...has it ever seemed like you've never met your father? I mean, you know all about him but you've never really... met him?"

I glanced at him in surprise and smiled slightly. I gestured to the chair next to me which made him smile slightly before he took it, his legs hanging over the side somewhat. "Sometimes, I suppose." I began, "In fact, when I was younger I ran away from my dad. But now I know  that he loved me, even if it seemed like he didn't. Why do you ask Sam?"

Sam looked at me in surprise and I raised an eyebrow. He bit his lip and lowered his eyes to the map. "You do know you have to concentrate on the location you want to look at, right?" He asked and I blinked.

"Uh..."

Sam rolled his eyes good naturedly and I blushed. I'm supposed to be a Daughter of Athena! He gave me a full on, only teeth grin and gently rested finger on the swirling and chaotic map. It stilled and I glanced at where he was pointing.

"Where's Xerxes?" I asked in surprise. Sam grinned slightly.

"A planet," he said cheerfully. "Nico said that he had a friend that lived there once."

I chuckled slightly. "Well, Aether was right. I don't know everything."

Sam looked confused. "The deity?" He asked tilting his head and blinking. I nodded and he grinned.

"Annabeth!" The door slammed open and I looked up at Alpha in surprise, for a moment forgetting about my severe dislike for the ex-apprentice. "Got a lead," he said, breathing heavily.

My eyes widened and I lifted Sam up onto the table. "Stay," I ordered and patted the boy on his head. "Uh... play with the map." I kissed him on the head by instinct and followed Alpha out, not noticing the stunned looks I got from both boys.

~...~

"Sophia!" I said in surprise staring at the auburn head. Sophia looked up and smiled. Her hair was no longer down to her waist but shoulder length and she had a scar over her left eye.

"Hello." She said softly. "How're you Annabeth?" I looked at her suspiciously; she had betrayed us in the battle along with Matthew and James.

"What are you doing here?" I asked suspiciously, and then I turned to Alpha. "And why didn't you lock her up?"

Alpha held up his hands. "Listen to her story, Wise Girl." He said sarcastically, and I snarled at him but held myself back otherwise. I didn't like him much, but Percy trusted him and I trusted Percy, so unfortunately I had to trust Alpha... and I did to some extinct. I just didn't with my life, or my secrets. That was Percy himself.

"Shut up, Stone Brain." I retorted.

"What does a Stone Brain even mean?" Alpha snorted.

"Easy, you." I smirked at him, and crossed my arms.

"Alright you two," Nico said, sounding amused and I started, I hadn't even noticed that he was there. "I would prefer if you didn't kill each other. It would make the balance go out of whack and I hate doing paperwork and reporting to the fates." He arched an eyebrow. "So, can you two call a temporary truce?"

Alpha and I glanced at each other, then at Nico, and then at Sophia. "For Percy." I finally agreed grudgingly.

"I suppose I can pull some strings for Torrent..." Alpha sighed. Nico grinned.

"Right," I said slightly disgruntled, "Sophia, tell me everything and if I find out that you're lying..." I let my threat hang.

Sophia smiled in relief. "After the battle, Void took Percy to Ashguard. He doesn't let any of us lower ranks see him, although I managed to check up on him every now and then." She looked down at her hands and Annabeth paled. "He... he was okay at first... but then the more time he spent in there..." she shook her head. "The worst he got. The last time I checked up on him, I nearly got caught but he didn't seem to respond to the food or water I gave him... I couldn't stay there any longer. I escaped. I nearly got caught though..." She trailed off sadly.

"Gods." I whispered, something rising in me, fear. That was what it was. "He sounds..."

"Bad?" Nico offered.

"Terrible?" Thalia offered, who I just noticed (I really was out of it today).

"On the brink of insanity?" Alpha leaned against the door, his brow furrowed and with a start I realized he had let his hood down, for once.

"Thanks guys, that what I really needed to reassure me." I drily stated.

"I try." Alpha smirked.

"Yes, now shut up and let me think." I muttered in annoyance. Nico whistled softly and I glared at him. "Where's that map?" I asked, the gears turning in my head already. "I told Sam to keep it for me..."

"Did you call me?" A cheerful voice asked and the four of us jumped and stared at the ten year old. Sam was grinning and holding the map behind his back, tilting his head curiously. I blinked and exchanged looks with Thalia.

"Actually, yes. Can I have the map?" I asked, smiling at him. He blinked then his grin widened. "Thanks Sam." I smiled at him and he held out the hand that was clenching the map. I took it from him and gently spread it out on the table. Sam sat on a chair with his knees tucked underneath him. Alpha and Sophia glanced at me but I shook my head and they both shrugged. Nico smiled at Sam who grinned back.

Alpha frowned at the map, and it focused on a place. Ashguard. Little tiny dots moved around, it was red and it seemed like, well, chaos. "The basic surroundings." He muttered, grimly. "Not pretty there."

"What is it like?" Nico asked as he frowned slightly. Sam tilted his head at the map.

"The complete opposite of what it is here." Alpha said, grimly. I sighed, and looked at Sophia who nodded, almost gloomily. I frowned and narrowed my eyes at a spot.

Void's Lair.

With a gasp I wrenched my eyes away from the spot and looked at Alpha. He nodded. "That's where he'll be." I stated, not sadly but firmly.

"We need to go." He said. I nodded and straightened up.

"Yes. Thalia, Nico you're both going with me." I turned to the huntress and warrior, both of whom nodded, Nico adding a salute. "Alpha... even though I don't like you you'll be useful." Alpha smirked at me and I rolled my eyes. "That's not a compliment. You're only an asset." Alpha frowned. "We also need Bianca, Zoe, Luke, Jason and... Leo." Nico looked surprised but he was nodding as if he understood.

"Fire and air, an ex-apprentice, a huntress, someone who can control death, someone who can control fear, someone who can control peace and time and someone who can control night and sorrow. Strong defense and strong offense." Nico noted and I smirked slightly.

"I am the Daughter of Athena." I said somewhat smugly then I turned to Sophia. "You're coming as well," I frowned in displeasure at this but she only nodded. Turning to Nico, I raised an eyebrow. "What are you doing just standing there? We leave in thirty."

Nico grinned, patted Sam on the head and left.