Chapter 79

Chapter IV

Zoe

I grimaced and held my arm. Luke glared at Kronos as I felt my energy weaken and I staggered. He turned to look at me and I stared up at him. Why is he so blurry?  I wondered.

"Zoe!" his voice cried out, sounding a little scared and I was just so confused. Why was Luke scared? I felt gentle hands lift my head and I forced my eyes to open. I stared up at him and he smiled.

"I'm fine," I coughed and something warm splattered my fingers. Luke's eyes widened and he looked mildly incredulous.

"You're fine!? Zoe—you're coughing up blood!"

I smirked slightly and held my blood covered hand up. My vision was going black around the edges. "Luke," I breathed and he shook his head slightly. I smiled tiredly at him; I would not burden him with the fact that I did love him. "Thank you."

His face disappeared and I thought I heard him scream.

~...~

Light. I saw a blinding white light in front of me. I looked over my shoulder; all that I saw was the never ending dark. I turned back to look at the light and tilted my head. A form materialized in the light and I saw... an old friend of mine.

My friend gestured wildly, laughing and grinning and I looked at the darkness.

The light looks so much more inviting... there can't be anything bad about it, surely?

I walked into the light.

Luke

Her eyes closed and I felt cold fear surge through me. "Zoe..." I managed to let out and her chest stopped rising and falling. My eyes widened and my mouth opened slightly. "Zoe... c'mon, answer me..." I thought I heard Kronos laugh.

There was no answer and my breath came out in a harsh gasp. "No..." I whispered. "Zoe... Zoe! No! NO! Zoe!!! ZOE! NO! ZOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

There was no answer and I collapsed next to her, my arms shaking as I stared into her bloodstained face. I heard an insane cackle and I whipped around to stare at Kronos, who was bent back like to evil villains in those cheesy movies that she used to force me to watch with her. Fury suddenly surged through me. How dare he laugh when Zoe had died?

"You should see your face, Luke Castallen." He snickered and I stood up slowly, lowering my head.

I never got to kiss her.

"You think... that this war is a game?" I whispered and Kronos stopped laughing. I looked up at him and noticed that he seemed to be afraid. Powerful cold calmness settled in me; I didn't even try to run from it this time. I embraced it. I felt a little like Percy; powerful, deadly and unstoppable. Kronos would pay.

"This war is nothing about child's play in my eyes."

I snapped. "INNOCENT PEOPLE ARE DYING!" I yelled as I held my hand out. The ground rippled and my old sword, Backbiter, erupted out of the ground. Kronos looked a little more wary. I narrowed my eyes on him; I had had enough of this world. I was done with being surpressed by my childish fears.

I would finish Kronos off for Percy; I owed him so much more than that. But I knew that this would be my last fight.

 I charged at the same time as Kronos; my body erupting into a golden glow as I allowed my power finally escapes from my grasp. The power of time itself was in my power, as well as peace, joy and Fallen Heroes.

All were like a blade when they were wielded by me.

Kronos lifted his blade and I could tell that he was trying to freeze time but I let a vicious smirk rest on my lips. I had stopped time completely—my allies would be able to win even if they would blame me.

"Prepare to die, King of the Titans." I snarled and I thrust Backbiter into his stomach. Kronos's eyes widened as his hand went to the blade and I watched him back up a few steps. His hand rested on the sword.

"You use my own weapon against me?" he breathed, his eyes wide with horror.

"Fitting, wouldn't you say?" I confirmed coldly as I stood above him as he fell to his knees. Kronos's eyes closed and he fell to the ground. I turned to look at Void and lifted my head as I greeted death's arms. Zoe didn't know the true extent of my injuries.

"Never underestimate a Warrior of Chaos. Percy will defeat you." I stated fearlessly and then I fell back.

I heard Percy's scream and I smiled a little sadly. I was proud to have been a warrior, but my time had finally come.

You have just condemned your friends to their fate. Void's voice taunted in my head and my heart stopped.

Percy

Anger and guilt surged through me as I watched as two of my most trusted friends fall. I had sent them to fight Kronos after all. Annabeth sniffled next to me and I closed my eyes. This was war; it didn't determine what was right, it never would, it only determined what was left.

I would live; for Luke and Zoe, for Annabeth and Alpha and all the other countless people that I knew would die during this final battle. I promised that a war like this would never happen again, at least not while I was alive.

The only way to ensure that was to defeat Void.

Annabeth's fingers wrapped around my elbow and I breathed out deeply and opened my eyes to stare into her stormy orbs.

Aurora. I thought to myself and a tiny seed of hope wormed its way into my heart. Dawn.