Chapter 60

Chapter VI

Annabeth

Three Months later...

I glanced at Percy and sighed, stretching wearily in my seat. It had been three months since the rescue mission, and since then, it had seemed like they had been taking one step forward and two steps back with the apprentice.

The warrior was currently sitting by the window, looking out, and his was gaze thoughtful. His sea green and gray eyes were startling clear, it was a good day for him, then. "Annabeth?" He called out; his voice had been mostly healed from the time he had spent in Void, but if he talked too much or too loud his throat would bother him.

I looked away from the book (From Age to Age) and tilted my head at Percy, who was looking out the window with a look of longing. "Percy?"

The warrior glanced over his shoulder and smiled sadly. "I can feel the ocean." He said quietly. My eyes widened and he took that as a bad sign. "I'm not supposed to?" He asked, I hastily dog tailed my book and closed it before standing up and placing it carefully on the comfortable seat and walked over to him.

"No," I said gently, taking his hands in mine. His sea green eyes were so clear, like he remembered himself. I choked back a sob; it wasn't fair that the kindest person I knew was like this. Percy didn't deserve this, he deserved so much more. "No, Percy." I murmured. "I want you to feel the ocean. It means that you're..."

"...remembering?" He finished when I trailed off. I smiled at him and nodded, and he returned it. "It feels... strong. Like I'm about to be swept from my feet and taken away," he said softly. "But at the same time, it feels like it's protecting me. It feels... safe and gentle, pushing you up and keeping you from drowning. But at the same time it seems like I'm falling into an undertow and I can't get out of it."

I smiled slightly and looked outside. The sun was out and it was one of the first warm days we've had since the winter. I paused and glanced at him, who was watching me with curiosity and I looked out the window thoughtfully, my gaze landing on the pedestrians chattering happily with one another. They knew, we tried to keep Percy's condition a secret, so naturally everyone knew about it.

"...Wise Girl? What's with the look?" Percy's wary voice drifted across my ears as I turned to look at him and... smirked. His eyes widened.

"Nothing, just stay here and don't move an inch." I commanded and marched over to the door, waving over my shoulder and just catching Percy's open mouth. I bit back a laugh and headed toward the council room.

He's having a good day, I said to myself. And we need to get out, I know I'm getting stir crazy and he needs to spend some time outdoors. It isn't good for him. A voice that sounded suspiciously like Alpha's told her that she was just being a worrywart. She shoved it brutally to the back of her mind and opened the doors to the council room.

Alpha and Nico were there, Alpha scowled at me while Nico looked up in surprise and raised an eyebrow. "He's having a good day." Nico said, and it wasn't a question, he stated it. I nodded anyways.

"Yes." I replied, leaning on the wall and tucked my right foot behind my left. "He is having a good day." I agreed. "It's such a lovely day, isn't it?" I added airily. Alpha's eyebrows furrowed and he looked at me suspiciously while Nico's eyebrows shot up.

"It is..." the ex apprentice said his voice soft, hiding the suspicion that was clear in his eyes. I smiled at him innocently.

"It would be such a nice day to take a walk..." I continued on with a sigh. Nico's eyes lit with amusement as Alpha's eyes narrowed in realization.

"No."

"You haven't even heard what I suggested!" I complained, glaring at him. Alpha smirked and pointed at me, his expression now triumphant.

"You admitted that you're planning something!" He said happily, I rolled my eyes. "What are you planning?" He added a wary hint in his eyes. I smirked.

"She's going to take Percy out." Nico said, looking at the table and not really looking interested. "Yeah, you can go." He added and I gaped at the son of Hades. How does he know that? I wondered, slightly annoyed.

"Shadow's the guardian of destiny and fate," Alpha said, as if he had read my mind, which was very likely. "He knows stuff like this." Nico nodded absentmindedly, and then he looked up, his expression startled.

"Wait, what did I just agree to?"

I chuckled and patted him on the shoulder, shaking my head with a warm smile. "Nothing dangerous. Just a fact, see you later." I waved over my shoulder as I strode purposely for the door and opened it.

Percy

The door opened and in stormed Annabeth, her curly blond hair flying around her like a golden halo. I jumped in surprise and she smiled slightly before she walked over to the chest were we kept the cloaks (she never said what for) and pulled out a silver one trimmed with green and held it out to me. I took it in confusion and donned it, watching as she pulled out a brown cape. She turned to me and smiled slightly before walking over and adjusting the cloak so that it wasn't crocked before she took my hand and led me out the stairs.

I was becoming steadily more confused. "Annabeth? What- where are we going?" I asked finally and she grinned, her eyes shining with excitement and I felt my spirits lift. She wrapped her arm around mine and patted my hand and her excitement was soon contagious.

"We're going outside!" she said happily, brown cape billowing out. I gaped at her.

"What? But I thought that we- I wasn't allowed." I was confused; she rolled her eyes and ruffled my hair.

"No, that's not true, you are. Would you like your hood up?" She added and I blinked, confused by the abrupt change of the subject before I shook my head.

"No," I answered softly, confused by the sudden urge to place it up (I figured that it was muscle memory, Nico had told me that I used to keep my face covered). "Not this time."

Annabeth looked surprised, and then she smiled slightly. "You're remembering?" It was a question, not a statement. I shook my head sadly, feeling a flash of frustration because I didn't remember.

"Not a thing." Annabeth nodded, her grey eyes flashing with an unknown emotion before she began to gently guide me to the sunlight.She let out a soft sigh, and shook her head.

"You will, eventually." She murmured soothingly.

"Yes, but when, Wise Girl?" I said in frustration, running my free hand through my hair. "One week from now? Or in one year or ten years, or even never?" Annabeth looked at me and I sighed, "Sorry," I apologized. "That was uncalled for."

She shook her head, her lips twitching slightly. "No, no, it's alright. You're frustrated, I know." Her nostrils flared. I coughed slightly and looked away, feeling embarrassed.

"I know exactly what you need." She smiled again.