Chapter 75

Chapter XI

Percy

I slumped as soon as the gods flashed out. Annabeth had seen me when I was at my weakest, I could let my guard down around her.

"Do you think they'll ever realize their feelings for each other?" my best friend mused out loud and I smirked briefly at her.

"Dad and Athena? Yeah, eventually I hope, but that'll have to wait until after this war with Void is over." I felt Annabeth shiver next to me and I looked at her, concerned, "Are you cold?"

Annabeth shook her head and smiled sadly at me. "No, it's just... when will this war end?"

I exhaled heavily and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. "Soon, I can feel that this war is on its last chapter— whether it is for good or bad." Annabeth smiled sadly at me and leaned closer. I sighed and rested my head on hers... I was done pretending that I didn't care for her. I was done with denying my true feelings, I loved her and, by the gods, if I had to I would protect her with my life. I would give up being the Heir of Chaos if that meant she would stay safe. Hades, I would probably end up destroying the world just to see her alive.

I promised myself that if we got out of this alive, I would propose to her.

"Finally..." she breathed and buried her face into my shoulder. I wrapped my other arm around her and drew her closer to me so that we were hugging.

"I know," I whispered into her soft curly hair. "I know..." she sniffled slightly and I tightened my arms around her.

"So close..." she repeated, as if she was only beginning to realize it.

Something felt off.

I pulled away from her and she looked up in confusion as I gently pushed her behind me. Light flooded my vision, she would have called it a supernova, and I cried out in surprise. Eventually the light faded, leaving a golden haired man in its wake and I stepped in front of Annabeth.

He pushed his glasses up. "The rumors don't even give you half the credit you deserve, Forgotten Warrior."

I bit back a growl. "Who are you?"

The man raised an eyebrow and then he smirked, "Your only salvation against the stars."

I took a step forward, Riptide jumping into my hand. "Who. Are. You?" I inquired slowly, resisting the urge to leap at the man.

The man shrugged and his green eyes danced.  "My name is Leo, I am the Lion."

Annabeth

"You're a star." Percy decided and the man –Leo—nodded, crossing his arms. Percy didn't let his guard down though and I looked at the 'star'. "Why are you here?"

Leo the Lion was utterly relaxed and I felt a drop of admiration settle somewhere deep in my stomach. Percy was downright terrifying when he had Riptide out. "I am here to help you."

Percy glared at Leo, but I held my arm out and he backed off. "Leo," I began politely, looking into the golden haired man's strange green eyes that had flecks of gold in them. "You must understand that we in the middle of a war, so we really have no choice but to distrust you."

Leo smiled at me. "You can learn some manners from her," he pointed out mildly to Percy. The Heir of Chaos hissed at Leo and I rolled my eyes. Such childish actions, yes, but they were endearing too. He reached behind his neck and he pulled out a chain. "Here, I believe that this is proof of my innocence." He offered the necklace to me and I took it gently. Percy looked at it over my shoulder and his eyes widened.

"You're a Celestial Spirit—a star who has come down to Earth!" he exclaimed in surprise and Leo leaned back, raising an eyebrow at my best friend.

"Now you believe me?" the Celestial Spirit quipped with a slight roll of his eyes. "But yes, I am, and I am duty bound to never tell a lie. Oh, and Lady Nyx can keep the necklace, seeing as she has got manners. "

I tilted my head at the title, (wasn't Nyx Chaos's companion?) but placed the necklace around my neck. It shrank until it hit the upper part of my sternum*. "So, why do you want to help us?"

Leo leaned back, tilting his head and he grinned teasingly at me. "I thought that was obvious, Ms. Chase. I have no wish to see the world razed to the ground and I do not want to go back to the genesis."

I looked at Percy, who sighed and rubbed his temples. "Gods," the Forgotten Warrior complained, "I've already got a migraine, why couldn't this wait another day?"

Unknown

"So, the star has finally risen. The Forgotten Warrior and his allies finally stand a chance against their enemies." A faint voice murmured, golden eyes flashing with some kind of unreadable emotion.

Silver eyes sparkled in the faint light. "Can we go help them? Should we go help them?"

A white humanoid form shifted and then it stood on its legs. Golden and silver eyes turned to the third eyeless figure. "No, we are The Power, we can only help Perseus Orion Jackson if he activates us. He does not know how though, he is too afraid to use us but... that will change when they pass."

Silver eyes closed and then they nodded. "Very well, we will keep on pulling strings through the shadows."

Golden eyes suddenly grinned, "The final hour has drawn near. The dawn is approaching. Soon, a golden age for the universes will be upon us."

The white figure paused for a moment and then it shrugged and laughed a little. "Well said, and besides those humans seem to think that that prophecy tells them the true future."

"What is that prophecy again?" Golden eyes asked curiously and the white figure chuckled.

"The fifth age will draw to an end,

with Despair and sorrow the hero of Chaos cannot mend.

Rise or fall by the Ghost King's Choice,

to listen to the leader's voice.

Lovers of Destiny will have a final stand,

only to fall, the Heir of Chaos must be saved by his lover's hand.

The power of death will unleash,

with the eldest of heroes fighting within Greece.

But they must take the double path,

with the help of the sea's wrath.

To destroy or save,

the arms of the world must behave.

A single oath she must keep with her final breath,

to be lost or saved by the arms of death."

"So, what is the true prophecy?" The silver eyed one whispered, as if she was interrupting a very private matter.

The white form looked at them. "There is no prophecy any longer. The future has been shaken and collapsed and the fates no longer have control. I meant what I said about The Heir of Chaos holding the future in his hands, because..." she paused for a moment and she took a deep breath. "He is the only hope that we have now because if he does not defeat the darkness called Void...

"The world will end."

*Also known as breastbone. 

End of Book VI