Chapter 80

Chapter V

Percy

Annabeth looked up and then her leg kicked out and I let out a tiny yelp as I crashed into the ground. Her knife Ignis flashed in the bright light and a shower of monster dust sprinkled over us. She coughed and raised her eyes to the sky and pulled me to my feet.

"This is no time to be daydreaming, Percy." She scolded me and I felt a flicker of humor flash through me. Hadn't I just told her that? "It looks as if Void's doing something." I looked at the archenemy of Chaos and felt my eyes widen.

Oh, for the love of Chaos...

"He's calling more monsters from Tartarus." I explained and her eyes widened with disbelief and even Alpha looked surprised.

"Does he even have the power to do that?" Annabeth wondered out loud and I turned to her and she blushed slightly. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes; of course he has the power to do that. He was Chaos's archenemy!

"Do you see what's happening?" a new voice inquired and I looked at Nico, slightly surprised. The Son of Hades stared at where Void stood while Thalia stood at his shoulder.

"Yeah," I sighed and I twirled the knife-form of Storm Bringer in my fingers restlessly. I suddenly wished I had Anaklumos but it was missing. Even the pen that almost always appeared in my pocket, I figured that Void had something to do with that.

So I was stuck with Storm Bringer; the more lethal version of Riptide.

"Do you think you can raise the dead?" I commented; thinking of Luke and Zoe. Nico was already shaking his head and there seemed to be fear hidden beneath the brave front in his eyes.

"No." he stated firmly and I nodded. I wouldn't rush him to do something that he was not ready for—ha, as if I was any better.

"Okay, we'll just have to make do with what we have." I decided and he looked a little guilty.

"We'll pound those guys back to Hades?" Thalia offered and I nodded grimly. She wanted revenge for Luke, Annabeth wanted revenge for Luke, Nico and I wanted revenge for Luke and Zoe. We all wanted some kind of revenge in some way or other.

Really, when get our hands on Void...

"Yes, that is exactly what we will do." I declared softly and I glanced at Alpha who fisted his right hand and slammed it into his left. On my right Annabeth tossed her head and held Ignis tighter.

I held Storm Bringer out and lit it on fire.

The fires of hell; that was what this monster army was going to get for destroying my home and they deserved no less.

 Alpha lit his fists on fire and I finally realized what his power was—magic. Or at least, that was the only word I could use to describe it.

Thalia held her hands out and her spear covered in lighting formed in her right while in the other she created a bolt of lightning. Nico's eyes narrowed and he held his hand out. The shadows seemed to bend around his hand and I wondered yet again what he was doing.

"We are Vanguard's Warriors'." My voice was barely above a whisper yet the incoming monster force stopped. The humans that stood in front faltered slightly and then they continued on. My contempt for Ashguard grew and I raised my sword. "And we are very, very angry."

My army charged.

Annabeth

Percy, Alpha, Nico, Thalia and I surged forward with the rest of the Vanguardian people. I was not sure if the others realized what an awe-inspiring image we made to our people (or the fear invoking to our enemy) but I knew that Void's eyes had widened slightly.

I stabbed a monster where its heart should have been. It exploded into a shower of dust and I spun around and kicked another one back.

"Annabeth!" my best friend shouted and I ducked instinctively. A shadow of black light cut above my head and I looked toward Nico gratefully but his back was already turned. Percy pulled me to my feet and he jerked his head. The monsters went flying back.

"How'd you do that?" I wondered out loud as I pressed my back against his. He shrugged slightly and his sword swung in a wide arc as he decapitated yet another monster. Where the demigods letting the monsters do their dirty work?

"Instinct," he replied softly and I choked. Instinct!?!? I wondered and then I stabbed a monster in the gut. I spun around and ducked as claws sailed over my head and threw Ignis underhandedly. It sank into the monster's flesh and it howled as I lit the knife on fire. The monster exploded in a rush of flame dust.

It didn't hurt me but it set the ground on fire. I squeaked (I would deny that later when Percy would tease me about it) and glanced at Percy, who smiled at me.

"Hellfire." He stated calmly and I raised an eyebrow. Our allies cheered as the monsters went up in flames. I bit my lip; something about this didn't seem right and... Zoe and Luke had both died.

I knew that Percy would be incredibly guilty about that although he was probably pushing it back for now. Actually, he would probably feel guilty about all the deaths that would happen.

"Hey, look," Alpha pointed and I frowned. "It looks as if they're retreating."

I was already shaking my head. "No," I stated grimly and he looked at me in confusion. Percy, Nico and Thalia copied his example. "They're only regrouping. But that means that we have a few minutes before the fight begins again."

Unknown

Icy blue eyes closing.

The enemy being destroyed by silver and gold light, Void's eyes widening with horror as the warrior surrounded in golden flames turned to him.

Poseidon and Athena with smiles on their faces as people appeared out of practically nowhere.

 "I'm going with you..."

Brown eyes closing, a heartfelt confession.

Two hands intertwined rose in victory.

Void cackling insanely as black power seeped from his body.

Nico di Angelo's eyes opened as he took in a harsh gasp.