Chapter 66

Chapter II

Percy

I sighed, feeling exhaustion creep up on me but I didn't say anything. There were too many people that we still had to save and not enough time. There never was enough time.

I gently moved the rocks, feeling slightly sick to my stomach because that was a hand that was under them. Logically, I knew that there was no hope for the person to be alive, but I didn't like that that logic- even though it would probably hurt more if it was true.

"Percy?" a familiar voice whispered and I looked up and smiled at her.

Annabeth.

"Annabeth..." I murmured softly and she nodded, kneeling next to me.

"Here, let me help."

I nodded and gently opened our minds, like I had done long ago, and I gently let the power leak and it settled within her. She breathed heavily and directed her gaze at the rocks. "Think about what you want it to do and don't resist." I explained softly and she nodded, her eyes staring at the rocks. Suddenly the whole lot of them moved at once and nearly hit the both of us, although I stopped it.

"Oh, gods, sorry Percy!" she yelped but I was too busy laughing to feel angry about it. She rolled her eyes, although her lips were twitching slightly so I knew she was fighting back a smile. I stopped laughing slowly becoming serious again, and I directed my gaze at the rocks and they moved more slowly away. "I don't think I'm going to use this again..." she muttered, watching me move them and I shrugged.

"That was nothing; I ended up almost flattening the equivalent Chinese Great Wall." I replied absentmindedly.

"...oh," I smiled dryly at her and looked down.

The body was crushed, like literally. The bones were flat and limp.

I gagged, bile rising to my mouth, but I swallowed it back. No matter how old I would get, these things would never let me get used to them. I had seen them before, falling planets, but I would never guess that it would happen here.

"That's horrible," she breathed and I nodded absentmindedly. I grabbed a cloak and placed it over his body and gestured Nico over, who looked slightly green.

"How many?" I asked, suddenly afraid. Nico shook his head.

"I've counted seven so far, not including him."

I sighed and closed my eyes, exhaling heavily.

Annabeth

I knew Percy was not reacting well to this huge mess, not that I blame him. His home has just been razed by Void, his son his missing and he has heard that at least ten people are dead. Nico looked paler then usual as well, (well, he had tanned a little) but I figured that that was from the souls leaving.

It must not be a very pleasant experience...

"Do you have any way to tell who the souls are?" I asked, looking up at Nico who shook his head, obviously knowing what I was hoping for.

"No, I'm sorry Annabeth." He sighed and shrugged. I looked at Percy, who was watching Nico, and then he stood up. "Percy, I'm sure he's fine," Nico reassured the Apprentice to Chaos and I gently squeezed his hand. He squeezed it back, his eyes shadowed with worry but he smiled slightly at Nico in reassurance.

"I hope so," he murmured quietly, then, "Come on," he commanded, his voice slightly stronger. "Let's get back to work, there is still a lot of work to be done."

Alpha

I glanced over at my ex apprentice, who obviously was worried even though he tried to hide it as he helped move the rocks out of the way with the power.

I was proud that he had come so far and that he had finally realized that Annabeth had never betrayed him... it was obvious when one would look at them that they were made for each other. I finally knew why he had been so close to dying when I had first met him... well, right after I had found him after she had 'cheated' on him, of course.

I was still annoyed that Chaos had erased my memories of him when I had met him at camp without my permission. I understood, of course, something about fate and destiny and the fates being angry at him for sending me to warn him and the Olympian gods and blah, blah, blah, but did he really have to erase my memories of him? I knew that the deity (who faded because of Void) would want me to watch over Percy, and I would, but he had so many people watching him now that I knew that he wouldn't appreciate me mothering over him like Bianca, Thalia, Piper and Zoe would sometimes.

Really, I wish I had that ability to get Jezebel to not get angry at me... just look at her with seal eyes and make her melt... although that didn't really work with Annabeth.

I moved the last rock and I saw a kid with messy black hair lying face down on the ground, his arm stretching out, and my heart stopped. I knew that kid... "PERCY!" I shouted over my shoulder, before going into the rocks and I felt for his pulse.

I heard someone shuffle over and I looked up at my friend, who looked concerned. "Alpha, what's wro..." he trailed off, his eyes resting on the kid and then they widened with fear. "Samuel..."