"So that's in? No more karate?" Demetri asked as they all sat together working on class stuff in the library during lunch

"I guess so," Miguel said. He had gotten into a fight at the dance and got hurt. His mom didn't want him doing karate anymore.

"It's probably for the best. It was starting to boost your confidence."

"Isn't that a good thing?"

"No. what has confidence ever gotten anybody except a black eye and their backpack thrown in the trash?"

"Well, I thought it was kind of cool how you stood up to Kyler," Eli said.

"Are you insane?" Demetri asked. "Let me ask you. What is the best superpower anyone could have?"

"Super strength," Miguel said.

"Wrong. Invisibility," Demetri said. Cat nodded a little, she wished she could turn invisible sometimes. "A distant second would be super speed to run away fast."

"Run away from who?" Kyler asked as he appeared behind Eli. Miguel groaned/sighed in annoyance.

"Whom," Kyler's friend corrected. "It's the object of a preposition. Remember English class."

"We were just leaving," Miguel said as he, Demetri, Eli, and Cat all started grabbing their things and standing up.

"Hey, where are you going?" Kyler asked. He grabbed Eli. "Oh, look at this freak." He held E's face. "Oh shit."

Brucks laughed.

"What kind of girl would ever kiss this shit?"

"Leave him alone, Kyler," Miguel said.

"What'd you say?" Kyler asked, letting go of Eli and walking towards Miguel. "You haven't had enough, 'Rhea?" Brucks pushed Miguel. "Huh?" Miguel said nothing. "Yeah. Get the hell out of her, man." Kyler pushed Miguel's face away.

Cat rolled her eyes and Kyler noticed. He pushed her shoulder.

"Got something to say, freak?" Kyler asked. Cat shook her head, looking at the ground. "Oh, that's right. You can't. Little mute freak."

Cat sighed, rolled her eyes, and signed, 'I'm not mute, fuckface.' But of course, Kyler had no idea what she was saying and just pushed her towards the door.

"I'm done looking at you freaks. Get out of here."

Miguel, Demetri, Cat, and Eli went towards the exit and Brucks laughed as he pushed Eli. Kyler grabbed Demetri's backpack.

"Hey, you don't want this shit," Kyler said, taking the backpack.

"No, come on. Not the trash," Demetri said. Kyler pushed him back. "I just threw a..." Kyler threw the bag in the trash, "yogurt in there."

"Now it's double dip."

Demetri grabbed his bag out of the trash. Yogurt was all over it. He walked away as Kyler snickered.

(423 words.)