10

Cat skated down the sidewalk on her way to Demetri's house

Cat skated down the sidewalk on her way to Demetri's house. The two were supposed to hang out today and she was late. She lost track of time. She eventually arrived at Demetri's house and knocked on the door. Moments later the door was opened.

"Hey, Demetri," Cat said. "Sorry, I'm late."

"It's fine, I guess," Demetri shrugged. "I've gotten used to you being late."

Cat scratched the back of her neck shyly. She was late all the time. She would get distracted or just lose track of time. "Yeah, sorry."

Demetri let Cat in, closing the door behind them. They went to his room after grabbing snacks from the kitchen. Cat was telling him about finally being able to do a skateboarding trick that she's been trying to perfect for weeks. He didn't care much about skateboarding, but when it comes to Cat he'd listen to her talk about anything.

Cat sat on Demetri's bed and opened a bag of chips. Demetri looked over at her. "Don't get crumbs on my bed."

"I won't," Cat rolled her eyes. "So what game'd you get this time?"

The comic book store they frequented had a small section of video games. Some of them were kinda old and were buggy, but the two would rent them and play them. They would criticize different parts of the games. The game was sometimes purchased and sometimes it was never played again.

"I'm not even sure what it's called. It's in a different language," Demetri explained as he grabbed the game. "But it's some ripoff of Mortal Kombat mixed with some strategy game."

"Sounds buggier than that time we all got lice," Cat laughed as she set down the chips on Demetri's nightstand. Demetri let out a small laugh as he sat on his desk chair, handing Cat one of the two controllers he was holding. She was referring to the time when the two and Eli all got lice at once while they were in 2nd grade.

The two started the game. It was buggy, but not as bad as some of the other games. They probably wouldn't end up renting it again, but it was still fun to get the chance to play it together for a while and just relax.

Cat was glad that Demetri didn't ditch her last minute. Yesterday she was supposed to have a weekly movie night with Eli, but he canceled at the last minute. He claimed it was for family reasons, but she saw him at Cobra Kai through the window. She had decided to go to the skatepark after he canceled on her, and the dojo just so happened to be on her way. She was upset with him right now. She doesn't even care about the karate shit, but she doesn't like being lied to. He, nor does anyone else, know that she knows that he lied.

—----

After a while, it was starting to get dark so Cat left to go home

After a while, it was starting to get dark so Cat left to go home. When she got home she got ready for bed and sat in her room. She was reading comics and listening to music when there was a knock on the door.

Cat got up and approached the door. She wasn't expecting anyone. She looked through the peephole of the front door of her small apartment. She sighed as unlocked the door and stepped back as she opened it.

"Hey, Robz," she said.

"Hey, Catty," Robby said. "You think I can stay here for the night?"

Cat nodded.

"Thanks."

Cat nodded again. "Anytime. I just can't stay up too late tonight cause I have work in the morning."

This was something that happened occasionally. Robby wouldn't want to be home alone and he knew Cat didn't either. They both knew about each other's home lives. Robby's dad wasn't very involved in his life and his mom was always hooking up with different guys. Cat, well she lived on her own. Her parents died in a car crash a few summers back while on vacation. Her parents went that bad, but some of the stuff they did seemed like they were only thinking about themselves and not about her or each other.

Eli and Demetri didn't know much about Cat's home life. They knew her mom was a pagan hairstylist and her dad was some kinda personal trainer, yoga teacher, and massage therapist. They've met her parents a handful of times when they were all younger, but they don't know anything about the crash. Not many people do. Cat didn't tell them because it never seemed like the right time, and eventually, it seemed like it was too late to tell them. Demetri and Eli just knew that Cat was pretty much willing to hang out at any time day or night.

Cat only told Robby because she knew about his home life and thought he'd understand. Which he did. They were each other's go-to when it came to talking about life and their problems. Without realizing it they both became each other's support system. They could talk to each other about anything and not worry about being judged.

(854 words. Hope you enjoyed this!)